Ch. 81: So, you have no idea who this person is?

"Are you sure you want me to come?" Alyssa nervously glanced at Cracker in the cab from the hotel to Niehauser's office building.
"Of course, otherwise I wouldn't have brought you along."

Cracker hoped that Alyssa's presence would make Niehauser see him as a family man like he viewed Gareth. What Cracker was about to do went against everything he knew. Going behind Gareth's back was something he hated, he kept reminding himself that it was for the greater good and that Mackenzie had pleaded with them to be discreet and keep Gareth out of it until they had a more solid plan.

They needed information from Niehauser about the other bidders to maybe figure out if that King guy wanted to push Gareth out of the deal for himself to get it. But to know that, they needed Niehauser to give them the information.

The cab pulled up in front of the building and Cracker helped Alyssa out. He had promised himself that he would make their little trip a love-trip too. She had accepted to come as his alibi to help Mackenzie and him. Gareth was to think they were off being lovey-dovey so he would not suspect anything going on.

The least he could do for her was make that part true. No matter what he had thrown at her, she had accepted it. Him, his job, his lifestyle. Cracker was well aware, Alyssa could have done worse than him, then again, she could have done so much better too. What he felt for her was something he had not tried before, if it was love, he had not deciphered yet, he had no frame of reference for that.

Maybe she was his Mackenzie. He enjoyed whenever she smiled at him, when she wanted to spend time with him, the calm she gave him and he accepted when she had a meltdown on him. She might not be Mackenzie level at that, she was still scary as hell.

Alyssa had been furious with Cracker when he had taken her to Phoenix's apartment to see Mackenzie and they had filled her in on what had been going on. She had not held back, the verbal attacks had been brutal, Phoenix, Vasili and Jace had tactfully retreated to the balcony to smoke while World War 3 had played out in Phoenix's living room.

It was not because he had not understood or accepted, she had been mad, it just hurt seeing her mad and scared for her friend. That had been the biggest issue of it, she had hailed on him for it all. First for having kept her in the dark about her friend and then for not coming to her so she could have helped with Mackenzie's female needs. Or just been there for Mackenzie to lean on.

In honesty Cracker had been afraid that Alyssa would have run for the hills with all the information about threats on Mackenzie and Gareth or even worse that she would have felt obligated to tell Gareth and then run for the hills. Like with everything else about his life she had accepted it and agreed to help.

Cracker owed her.

Herr Niehauser was standing outside the building waiting for them. Like all the other times they had met he was in an expensive suit and looked to be the businessman he was. His grey hair neatly combed and tie straight.

Smiling he walked to meet them.

"Cracker, it's a pleasure to see you again." He held out his hand and shook Cracker's hand.
"Same, Mr. Niehauser." Cracker turned slightly and gave Alyssa space to shake Niehauser's hand too. "My girlfriend, Alyssa Daniel."
"Mr. Niehauser," Alyssa smiled and shook his hand.
"Oh, no. Call me Elías."

Niehauser gestured towards a building down the street. "I got the feeling this meeting was not entirely official, so why not have an early dinner with me while we talk, and you can fill me in on why you requested to meet me?"
"Sounds good."

Cracker held Alyssa's hand while they walked with Niehauser to the restaurant sending side glances at Niehauser who smiled happily noting their hand holding.