Ch. 103: Why didn't you call me?

It had not been her intention to mention Phoenix, it had been more a thought that came out than something she had needed to say to Gareth. Phoenix had been right in telling her to tell Gareth something. From what they both had gathered during their little talk; the reactions of the other had often been ones of not understanding.

"He's my friend, I needed somebody to talk to. Who better than my designated gay friend?" Mackenzie tried to make it a cliché joke, from the look on Gareth's face, she had failed.
"No, tell me why."

There was no way around it.

Gareth had smelled something, and he was chasing it with his highly developed instincts being right on track of there being something iffy going on.

Like a dog with a bone, he was not letting it go.

"A while back I needed help with my confusion about liking what you did and hating what he had done. I didn't understand my sexuality and I had nobody to explain things to me. Phoenix was there and he gave me a listening ear. And a bit of advice too."
"He's a good friend. Remind me to thank him."
"I already have. He was there when I needed him, I am there now that he needs me. It's what friends do."

Nodding Gareth held her and kissed her hair. It was something he liked to do. There was just something caring about it, he could not really explain it, he did rationalize it in his head. He felt kisses on the body were sexual often leading to more, kisses on the mouth was passion and love. Kisses on the forehead and hair was caring that did not need reciprocation or actions after.

"So, food?" Mackenzie asked hoping Gareth had let the thought of Phoenix's knowledge of their sex life go.
"Sure, malyshka. Come, my phone is in the bedroom. You need a shower if you have the energy." Gareth helped her up and wrapped the blanket around her, mainly because her naked body was doing things to him, and attacking her like a sexual predator after all they had just talked about would be setting them back.

In the bedroom he called his housekeeper and ordered their brunch, he added 10 things Mackenzie had not even thought about before ending the call.

"Well, brunch is on its way, could take a bit, I ordered a lot," he laughed happily. Brunch sounded too good to be true, he needed food and coffee.

By God, he needed coffee.

"Why don't you go shower, I can use one of the guestrooms."
"Why don't you join me?"
"You're sure? You told me that day you wanted to use the bathroom alone, I just assumed..."
"Because I didn't want you to see my scars. You have now. I have nothing to hide and I want to bathe with you."

Gareth never ceased to amaze her.

She had laid out some ground rules and he was keeping to them even after they had gotten married and she had shared her secret with him. Just like he had with the sleeping arrangements until she had changed that.

Mackenzie would never question if he was a man of his word.

In the shower Gareth helped her with her hair which was a sweaty, tangled mess. It was only fair he helped since he had been the cause of its miserable state. They washed each other playfully enjoying each other's bodies and the fragrant soaps and shampoos.

When Gareth washed her, he was careful not to rub on her scars not knowing if she would be ok with it. They were scars, they would not hurt if he touched them, they would be numb if anything, if they were emotionally numb was a gamble he did not want to risk.

The scars were not ugly as such, they were just not supposed to be on any person's body. And certainly not on Mackenzie.

He did not understand how something like that could come to pass. So many scars from cigars. It would have been hell for her.