Chapter 4 - One For All

Izuku was using his weights, listening to some music while working out, when his mom entered his room. He looked up and put his weights down, pulling one earplug from his ear. Inko looked happy for some reason and he was sure he was about to find out why.
"Just wanted to come and tell you that we're invited for dinner over at the Bakugous tomorrow evening so make sure you don't schedule any training then, okay?"

He stared at her with wide eyes. What?! They were having dinner over at the Bakugou household?! B-but Kacchan-! Kacchan would be there, right? He could finally see him again... Yet he didn't think his childhood friend would be happy to see him...

"Mitsuki said she wanted to talk to me about something, she sounded serious" Inko explained, a troubled look on her face before a smile broke through again.
"But she also told me that they went for a check up at the hospital today and everything is fine with Katsuki! Isn't that great news?"

"Y-yeah, that's amazing mom!" Izuku forced out, a bright smile on his face. It really was great to know Kacchan was doing okay! But he wasn't sure whether visiting him would be ideal right now... Surely not after that random call they had yesterday... What was that all about anyway? It wasn't like the ash blonde to call out of nowhere and ask questions like that!

Why do you still care? Sounds like you've got a crush on me or something.

Izuku felt his face heat up just by thinking back about it. So what if he had a crush on his former bully? Kacchan happened to be extremely good looking, mind you, and he had flawless precision and smarts and was just absolutely perfect... As long as he kept his mouth shut, at least. His personality was...interesting...if nothing else. He wasn't afraid to tell you what was on his mind and was always straight forward with pretty much anything. Yet his way of wording and his facial expressions made him seem a bit...feral...at times.

Izuku knew about those things and he was fairly sure that wasn't the reason he fell for the boy. No, because in his mind he was still the same Kacchan he used to play with when they were children. That would never change... Deep down he hoped that maybe one day they could get their friendship back, but he knew that was wishful thinking. Too much had happened, too much had affected their relationship for it to ever return back to how close they were when they were 4.

He sighed, getting back to lifting his weights. Why was he always walking with his head in the clouds? Always dreaming of things that were far out of his reach? Well, he did get a quirk and got accepted into UA, so guess not all his dreams are unreachable, but still. That feat required a lot of luck and timing. There were probably a thousand other timelines where he would've never received One For All and he was still a hopeless quirkless boy, dreaming of making it in the hero world...

Izuku quickly shook his head. He shouldn't get lost in those thoughts. People shouldn't linger too much on the 'what if's and focus more on the now and the what is. Yeah, Izuku should focus on his training! He wanted to make sure not to slack off and make All Might proud of him! And so he continued training until dinner. He excused himself afterwards and went for a run along the beach.

A smile came to his face when he got reminded of how it all started. This was it... This was his starting ground, his first test in a long obstacle race to becoming a pro hero. His pace slowly died down and he came to a stop as he stared at the ocean in front of him. A year ago, the water wasn't even visible from this point. Now you could see for as far as the horizon stretches. It really was a beautiful scene...

Midoriya got lost in thought staring at it, only noticing how late it was getting when the sun began to set. He mentally cursed himself for getting lost in his thoughts again. His mom will definitely be worried now, he'd better run home quickly then.