Chapter 56 - People are like Stars

A/N Double update this week!! We're nearing the final stretch of this fic, only 10-11 more chapters to go whoohoo

The first feeling that came back to him was a numb pain, throbbing through his body like a second heartbeat. After that his hearing came back, a constant beeping filling the air around him. Katsuki could also feel something sting in his arm and something warm in his hand. Was someone holding his hand..? His eyelids felt heavy and he wasn't sure whether or not he had the strength to open them.

Man, his throat hurt... And his arms felt like they were on fire. His memories flowed back to him bit by bit, making his blood run cold. Everyone knew now... He'd used his quirk for all to see and he ran away from the consequences... If only he could hide away forever... Katsuki stiffened as he felt the foreign hand squeeze his hand slightly. He hadn't noticed he'd been flexing his hands and fingers at the thought of his quirk, but now he was painfully aware of his old reflexes.

"...K-Kacchan..?"

Oh fuck. God fucking damnit. Of fucking course it had to be Deku! Of course that little shit was the one who was sitting by his side, holding his hand! That's exactly the kind of romantic sappy crap he's into! A small groan escaped his lips, causing Izuku to react with a gasp. Great...

To be honest, Izuku was the last person he wanted to see right now. Not that he didn't love him, but he just didn't want to face the green head after the shit he pulled. After he burned himself on purpose. Ugh, why did he give in to the pain..? Burns weren't like cuts! The aftermath wasn't worth it at all! He felt like absolute crap!

"Y-you're awake... Oh God, you're really awake-" Izuku mumbled and Katsuki could hear his voice crack. After that came a sob, making Katsuki feel even shittier, guilt washing over him. Fuck. He made Izuku cry... Damnit! He heard the beeping sound pick up and Izuku squeezed his hand again.

"H-hey, it's okay Kacchan. E-everything is fine..." Izuku choked out in an attempt to comfort the blonde. Katsuki bet he was smiling through his tears and was secretly glad he had difficulties opening his eyes.
"I'm here, it's okay"

Katsuki parted his lips a little, sucking in a shaky breath. Where the hell was Recovery Girl?! He was in the nurse's office, right? Shouldn't she be intervening or some shit? How long had he been unconscious for anyway..?
"Ssh, it's okay, you're okay..." Izuku whispered, rubbing his thumb over Katsuki's hand. It was soothing and Katsuki hated that he was falling for it, calming down at his touch.

"Can you open your eyes?"

Katsuki let out another groan, a small noise of protest, sending a wave of pain through his throat. It made him gasp and his breathing picked up again. Izuku quickly calmed him down though, whispering soothing things as he cradled his hand in his own.
"It's okay, it's okay, don't force yourself" Izuku mumbled, still rubbing his hand ever so gently. Katsuki didn't deserve this kindness... Not after the shit he pulled.

"Your neck is... You're badly hurt" he settled on.
"So don't try to speak up if it hurts, okay? You might make it worse if you try to force yourself"
Fuck. His neck. He remembered bringing his hands up there, but he didn't remember much after that. Was that where he passed out..? It must be...

"I-I... I'm s-sorry..." Izuku choked out, making Katsuki freeze up. What? What the hell was he sorry for?! Why was he crying?! Katsuki should be the one apologizing! That is, if he could actually speak the fuck up!
"God, Kacchan, I'm so sorry... I-I should've talked to you, I-I should've made sure you were okay a-and cleared things up! B-but instead I let y-you suffer alone... You were scared and I-I didn't even notice... I'm the w-worst!"

Oh hell no

That shit won't fly. Not on Katsuki's watch. He didn't care if his body was protesting and screaming in pain as he clenched Izuku's hand, squeezing it tightly. He forced his eyes to open on pure willpower, flinching at the sudden light. The pain of the stinging light didn't compare to seeing Izuku's wrecked face though... Katsuki opened his mouth but only a few strangled noises came out.