36. Indirectly Rejected

Nathaniel's POV

My heart was visibly clenching and that strong sense of rejection was not missing from it.

Regret too had to bless me with its presence as it constantly went through me over and over again. Never even have I felt so dull in my life.

"Sweety, what's wrong?" Mom asked.

"What?" I muffled chewing the food that had stayed in my mouth for a while without being masticated.

"You look lost. I was busily talking to you and you weren't minding me." She complained.

"Sorry mum...I gotta go." I got up, kissed her cheek and grabbed my backpack from the hall to leave the house. I went towards my cars, slid in and started to drive,

Many thoughts were going through my head. Some were how I'd approach her a d others were exactly what I'd tell her.

Um I'm sorry?

Hey....

Ughh!!

It was so pointless. But a part of me felt like I had to talk to her. I sighed and ran my hand through my hair. But with what words exactly?

And her new attitude was going to make it more difficult. I almost felt so scared when I was talking to her.

My heart skipped a beat when I pulled up at school. I got down from my car and heaved a sigh. I walked into the premises and looked around for any sign of her. I saw a redhead and I gulped thinking it was her until I spotted some freckles on her face.

Not her.

I sighed and opened my locker to get a few books for my first period. I heard some familiar voices and the next moment I was surrounded by Angelo, Arjun and Aldrick surrounding us.

"Ayoo!"  Arjun patted my back and I gave him a weary look.

"Dude back off." I murmued shutting my locker.

"Dude what up?" Angelo asked.

"You look like you've been dumped." Aldrick sighed.

More like indirectly rejected.

"Okay so?" I asked.

"Chill man-!" Angelo breathed heavily looking ahead. The rest of us did same too and saw Angela, Pamela and Mackenna in the mixture of other students.

My heart lept when I saw that one girl and I lingered my stare on her for quite a while.

"Heeey." Aldrick said holding Pamela by her wrist and dragging her to us. Mackenna and Angela too had to come to us.

"What's up?" Pamela beamed at Aldrick and my heart clenched. It kinda hurt

"You look chirpy." He smirked at her.

"Dude don't stare too much, it's kinda creepy." Angelo whispered.

"Yeah." Mackenna agreed smiling smugly at at me.

"Whatever." I scoffed.

"Bye everyone . " I said grumpily and left the place for my first period. I entered the class and took my seat with other students. The class was almost full ten minutes later and the teacher came in with Belinda and I groaned under my breath when she sat next to me.

I clenched my jaw and opened my book to ignore her presence.

"Nathaniel I was so so worried about you.. where did you go after the party? I was looking for you...are you okay?" She asked rubbing my arm.

"Yes, yes I'm okay." I passed her a fake smile and took her hand off me.

"Coukd you believe that bitch? She had the audacity to talk back at me and...." she rambled on with her complaining and I rolled my eyes secretly.

I thanked God mentally when she shut up because the teacher chided her and continued with the lessons.

***

She gasped and sighed relieved before she straightened her face.

"What do you want?" She asked adjusting her glasses before she tilted her head up to stare at me.

The little confidence I had fled when I saw her face staring right into mine.

"Um..I..I.." I stuttered, inwardly surprising myself. I cleared my throat and straightened up.

"I wanted to ask how your day went." I shrugged.

"It was great." She shrugged too. "Can I go now?" She requested.

"Yeah.." I said. She started to walk away and my hands were itching to pul her back.

"Um...Pamela!" I called when she became an arms length away.

"Yes?" She asked turning around.

"Um.." I walked closer to her and sighed.

"I'm really sorry you know.." I stated and she pressed her lips into a thin line.

"Nathaniel, about what exactly? Because you just come to me and apologise. What are you apologising for?" She asked and I blew out a breath.

"It's a whole lot of things...and you know it. I-I just-" she simply shook her head and with a scoff, she turned and started to walk away quickly.

"Pamela..."  I called out agitated and I gripped her arms in my hand. She glared staring up at me and somehow her gaze was kinda sexy. Focus! She's mad at you.

"Please...calm down."

"I am calm. Why do you think I haven't slapped your face for holding my arms?" She asked boldly and I slightly rose my brows.

"Okay look, I-"

"Okay what is going on here?" A high pitched voice interrupted.

"Belinda stay out of this-"

"Stay out? Why are you talking to this bi-?" She asked.

"Can you, for once speak without a filthy word inclusive?" Pamela .

"Was I talking to you? And can you stop clinging after my boyfriend? Like for real, get yours." She growled. Pamela shook her head and turned to leave again.

"Please! Hear me out" I begged grabbng her arm again.

"Nathaniel.." she creased her brows, sighed and looked between Belinda and me,

"I don't have time for this. Okay? Stop bothering with your meaningless apologies. Period." She finalised and the words just sliced through my heart.

"And you," She said referring to Belinda. "Think before you act. That's a reason why you have a brain." She stated and finally walked away.

"Ugh. I despise her."Belinda scoffed. Turning to me. "Hey Nathaniel, do you wanna go-"

"You know I just don't get you. I'm in a middle of a conversation with someone and you just come in for absolutely no reason. What is wrong with you?" I asked.

"Dont you realise there's no point wasting time with her? You have a girlfriend. Concentrate on that." She folded her arms. I just shook my head and walked away.