"Derek's house?" I ask.

"Yeah."

"Where's Derek's house?"

"In the forest, where we met. Didn't you know that?"

"No," I say, trying to keep my composure. On the first day I moved here, I went into these woods, way too close to the house where my father and probably my mother were killed. I feel sick.

"What did you find?" Stiles asks Scott, getting his attention now instead of me.

"There was something buried there. I could smell blood," Scott says, and I feel anxiety coming up because it's so unlikely but maybe, just maybe that thing that was buried there is my mom's body. The police never found her. But they didn't have werewolf smell.

No, Grace, it's the other half of the body, not your mother's, calm down.

"That's awesome! I mean, that's terrible! Whose blood?" Stiles asks.

"I don't know. But when we do, your dad will arrest Derek for the murder. And then you two will help me figure out how to play lacrosse without changing. Because there's no way I'm not playing that game," Scott says.

"I'm still not sure if Derek would kill someone like that," I say.

"Derek did it. Of course he did it. Have you seen him? He looks like a serial killer," Stiles says.

I look at him.

"But I don't see how, after- after losing your family."

"Maybe that's why he started killing."

"Maybe. I just don't know," I say.

"Uh. Can I ask you something?" Stiles asks after a moment of silence.

"Yes," I say reluctantly, hoping fiercely that he won't bring up my parents.

"Derek said, when he got into Scott's house during our video chat, he said you killed his family? Why did he say that?"

"He- he thinks my family is responsible for the fire," I say, looking down.

"Is he right?"

My gaze is strongly fixed on the floor.

"No. I don't know who did it, but it wasn't my family."

"Okay," he says.

"Guys, I have an idea," Scott tells us.

"I'm gonna give it a shot, but I hope your ideas are more reasonable than Stiles'," I say.

"I have so many reasonable ideas!" he shouts.

"Yeah, like searching for a corpse in the middle of the night," I retort.

"It was- that was one thing, okay? I've had so many amazing ideas but you weren't even there to hear them. But Scott knows-"

"Guys! Can you just shut up for a second?" Scott says.

"Go ahead, tell us," I say.

"I need to know for sure the half of the body next to Derek's house is from the same person as the other half they already found. So if we can just go to the morgue in the hospital, I can smell the body and-"

I hide my face in my hands.

"Grace?" Scott is really confused.

"I... I'm just gonna have to abandon all reason, right? If I want to survive hanging out with you two."

"Let's just go," he says.

***

We enter the hospital and say goodbye to Scott, because three teenagers in a morgue is much, much worse than one. We are not going in there with him.