Chapter 22

"Let's go, let's go! Let's just get out of the school and find a car," I yell while me, Scott and Stiles are running through the school hallways, in the middle of the night, trying to get away from a werewolf. We get to a door that can lead us outside, and Stiles is the first to try to open it, but it doesn't budge.

"What the hell?" he mutters.

"It's a dumpster," Scott notices. Shit.

"He pushed it in front of the door to block us in. Come on, help me," Stiles says.

"On three," I say, me and Scott moving to stand beside the door as well. "One, two, three."

We push against the door with our shoulders, but it barely has an effect.

"Again. One, two, three."

It still doesn't work, so me and Scott take a step back in defeat. Stiles, however, looks oddly determined to get that door open, slamming himself into it a little too forcefully.

"Stiles, it's not working," I say, reaching out to him, but stopping when I see that he just keeps going.

"Stop!" Scott yells, and it seems too get Stiles out of his trance, luckily. I grab his arm and pull him away from the door.

"I'm not dying here. I'm not dying at school," Stiles says, his voice shaky and unsteady. I recognise this; he's in panic mode, which is extremely understandable. I look him straight in the eyes to try and get my message across.

"Hey, it's okay. We're all still fine. We just have to push through, okay?"

He swallows and keeps looking at me, only breaking eye contact to glance at his arm, where my hand still is. I loosen my grip.

"We're not going to die," Scott adds, and I turn to give him a light smile. Let's hope so. When I look back at Stiles, he's staring at the ground, grimacing.

"God, what is he doing? What does he want?" he asks hopelessly.

"Me," Scott answers, and I let Stiles go to face Scott, surprised. "Derek says it's stronger with a pack."

"Oh, great. A psychotic werewolf who's into team work. That's- that's beautiful," Stiles says, and the familiarity of his sarcasm is very welcome in the mess we're in right now.

***

"We have to do something," Stiles says, and he's right. The alpha is chasing us again and we won't be able to hold him off much longer. Stiles abruptly stops running when we pass a corner and takes his keys out of his pocket, and before me or Scott can ask what he's doing, he throws the keys into a room. The alpha is distracted and chases the keys until it's inside, and Stiles hurries to get the door closed, a heavy metal door, I see now. Still, it's risky.

"That won't hold," I say.

"The desk! Come on, the desk," Stiles says, and the three of us push the desk against the door.

We get across the desk and me and Scott get ready to run again, before we realise that Stiles isn't following. He hesitates on top of the desk, peeking at the alpha through the tiny window in the door.

"What?" Scott asks.

"What are you doing?" I add.

"I just wanna get a look at it."

"Stiles!"

"Are you crazy?" Scott asks.

"Look, it's trapped, okay? It's not gonna get out. Yeah, that's right, we got you-"