Chapter 16

"Grace."

"Mhmm," I bury my head in the blankets.

"Grace, wake up."

I groan, not moving an inch.

"Grace, stay quiet. It's Kate. She-"

I'm suddenly wide awake, sitting up and staring alarmed at uncle Chris.

"What's wrong?"

"She's fine, but she's encountered some werewolves on her way here," he says.

"Oh my god, she's coming back? Is she here already?" I take a quick glance at the clock to see it's nearly 2 AM.

"No. I'm going to help her out and stop her from killing them. Want to join?"

"Yes! Give me three minutes," I say, already starting to realise that Scott might be in danger because of my aunt. That feels weird. It almost feels wrong. But it isn't, what's really wrong is that I'm friends with a freaking werewolf.

Chris leaves the room and I put on the first outfit I can find, grabbing my bag and my phone, which I luckily got back from him.

"What's going on?" I hear Allison's voice outside the room, and I freeze, keeping very quiet.

"Your aunt Kate just texted. I'm heading out to pick her up," I hear Chris respond.

"But it's two in the morning, is everything okay?"

"Yeah, yeah, she's just having a little car trouble."

"Not serious, is it?"

"No, just a flat tire. Go back to bed, sweetheart."

I open my door as soon as I hear Allison's close, running down the stairs as silently as I can.

"Keep it down," Chris whispers to me.

"Keep it quick," I say, opening the front door and getting in the car, impatiently waiting for him.

***

"Kate!"

I get out of the car and run to her, tackling her into a hug. She holds onto me tightly and starts chuckling, putting her rifle to the side.

"Gracie, did I just manage to get you out of bed in the middle of the night? It's a miracle," she says. I laugh and let her go.

"Get in, both of you," Chris orders.

"Not even "hello", "nice to see you"?"

"All I've got at the moment is "please put the assault rifle away before someone notices"," he answers.

Kate looks at the darkness around us, and I do as well. No one in sight.

"That's the brother I love," Kate says, and I can hear the familiar smirk in her voice.

"Did you use it?" I ask Kate.

"I did. You look like you think it's a bad thing," she laughs.

"I- I don't," I laugh hesitantly.

"Kate," Chris says, getting her attention.

"There were two of them," she says.

"An alpha?" Chris asks.

"I don't know, but one of them tried to kill me-"

"One of them is gonna lead us to the other. He can't do that if he's dead," Chris snarls.

"Well I can't help kill either of them if one of them kills me first."

"She was defending herself! You would've done the same thing, no doubt," I say to him. He sighs and leaves it be.