Chapter 38

Everything looks and feels hazy and odd, constantly moving around, and everything hurts. I know I'm damn near passing out, and I also know I'm alone in the middle of the woods now, so if I do lose consciousness, no one will find me, and I'll most likely end up dead.

Some part of me does not feel like that's such a bad idea.

Still I try to get up, only to go back down again with a groan. My head's really not right.

"Grace, it's okay, I got you," I hear a voice say, before I see his unclear face hovering over me.

"Scott?" I mutter. Another person, uh, Derek, I think, reaches for the back of my head and pulls his hand back when I flinch in pain.

"She's bleeding," he says.

"No, wait, wait, watch out. Hunters..." I trail off.

"They left, Grace. It's okay," Scott says.

"Fucking left her to die," Derek snaps.

"Since when... do you care about me," I mutter to him, groaning when Scott carefully takes me in his arms to carry me.

"Since you showed me that you do," Derek says, but I barely register the words because I'm slipping away.

***

There's something cold pressed to my head that makes me regain consciousness, but it doesn't help much against the nauseating headache I have. I open my eyes and try to sharpen my vision, focus on the face above me, making my eyes widen even more.

"She's waking up," Derek says, holding an ice pack to the back of my head. His voice, however quiet, makes me close my eyes again in pain.

"I'm coming!" Scott's voice sounds in the distance, making me cringe again.

"Do you have to be so fucking loud, Scott?" Derek mutters under his breath, knowing that Scott will hear it anyway.

"Where- is this Scott's house?" I whisper, because I know I'm on a couch covered with a blanket, but that really doesn't say much.

"Yeah," Derek nods.

"Hi, Grace," Scott smiles as he rushes into the room, carrying a little plastic box and a glass of water. "Want a painkiller?"

"Feels like I need ten," I mutter, maybe exaggerating a bit, taking one of the pills and quickly swallowing it with the water.

Once I'm done, I slowly take them in, Scott and Derek, one awkwardly standing in front of me like he's waiting for orders, the other still holding the ice pack even though I'm perfectly capable of holding it myself.

"This is weird," I say.

"Yeah," Scott says.

"How are you?" Derek asks.

"I guess I'm fine," I answer. "How about you? Is the alpha stuff working for you?"

"You tell me," he says, flashing me his glowing red eyes, and I raise my eyebrows.

"I didn't know taking care of wounded humans was part of the package," I say.

"You're just as much the hunters' victim as the omega was," he says.

"We saw it all, Grace," Scott says.

"I'm not a victim," I shake my head.

"Maybe not. You're a brave one," Derek tells me, and there's a moment of silent eye contact, me just slightly frowning at him, trying to figure out what the hell is going on.