Chapter 11

"Hey, come here!" Stiles grabs Scott and takes him with us, through our school's corridor.

"What?" Scott has absolutely no idea what's going on, until he sees what we spotted earlier: a group of policemen, including the sheriff, having a conversation with the principal.

"Tell us what they're saying. Can you hear them?" Stiles asks frantically. Scott hushes him and starts listening.

"Curfew because of the body," he says after a while.

"Unbelievable! My dad is looking after a stupid animal whereas the real damn killer can just hang out and do whatever he wants," Stiles rants.

"You can't exactly tell your dad the truth about Derek," Scott says.

"He's got a point. Unless you want him to be in on it," I add.

"No, no way. I can do something though..." he trails off.

"Like what?" Scott asks.

"Find the other half of the body," Stiles says.

"Are you serious?!" I yell, when Scott says "Are you kidding?" at the exact same time.

"I knew we were gonna go hunt for bodies again, I freaking knew it!" I say.

***

I'm in my room, paging through my mom's old book of fairy tales, letting my fingers glide over the pages. Trying to choose a story to read is hard when you know them all nearly word by word. I stop and start reading "The Wolf and the Fox", my father's favourite. I know it was because I once asked my parents to each draw a little cross next to their favourite tale and he wrote in normal pencil, my mother used a green coloured one.
I'm expecting a call from Stiles or Scott when they want me to help them go find the body, but this is a good way to kill some time.

Basically, The Wolf and the Fox is about, you guessed it, a wolf and a fox. The wolf is a general asshole: he makes the fox get food and do all sorts of things for him. Until one day the fox's had enough and he breaks free from the wolf by using a clever plan. I've always wondered if this fairy tale was my dad's favourite because of the obvious connection to wolves or because of other reasons. And I still wonder about that, because I want to know and I'll never know.

My phone rings and I snap out of my daze.

"Scott told me he talked to Derek well Derek more like threatened him again but Scott said he found something else he's gonna tell us when we get there I'm picking you up in 5," Stiles rambles from the second I pick up the phone, then immediately ends the call when he's finished talking.

I have to run over everything he said again in my head so the words actually sink in. And then I'm still stunned.

"That... was impressive," I say to myself.

***

"Come on, Grace!" Stiles jumps out of the car and races to Scott's house, me struggling to keep up with him.

"Jesus, Stiles, do you have ADHD or something?" I ask, now following him up the stairs.

"According to my doctor, yes," he answers.

"Oh. That actually explains a lot," I say.

He busts through Scott's door.

"What did you find? How did you find it? When did you find it? And yes, I've had a lot of adderal, so.. "

"I found something at Derek's house," Scott answers.

Stiles wants to say something, but I interrupt him by placing a hand on his arm.