Chapter 17

We've been driving around with nowhere to go for way too long now, and Derek's getting worse, making annoying sounds when pain shoots through him. This is ridiculous.

"He hasn't got much time left. Stiles, if we keep driving around aimlessly like this, he will die in here," I say.

"Oh hell no. I'm calling Scott."

He takes his phone and after about thirty seconds of waiting, Scott answers.

"What are we supposed to do with him?" Stiles asks.

"And, by the way, he's starting to smell," Stiles continues after a silence.

Oh god, how didn't I notice that before?

"Like death," Stiles says.

Then Scott clearly says something that surprises Stiles.

"What about your boss?" he asks. The animal clinic?

Stiles pauses and then looks at Derek.

"You're not gonna believe where he's telling me to take you."

Derek grabs Stiles' phone out of his hands and starts talking to Scott.

"Did you find it?"

There's a moment of silence as Scott answers, and then Derek speaks again.

"Look, if you don't find it, then I'm dead, alright?"

Whatever Scott says then, it's not appreciated by Derek.

"Then think about this. The Alpha called you out against your will. He's gonna do it again. Next time you either kill with him or you get killed. So if you wanna stay alive, then you need me. Find the bullet."

He ends the call without waiting for a reaction.

***

We enter the animal clinic after finding the key, turning the light on. Derek stumbles forward and collapses on a bag of animal food, when I hear Stiles' phone buzz. He takes it and frowns at the bright screen.

"Does Northern blue monkshood mean anything to you?" he asks to the both of us.

"Ah, yes. Of course. The usual," I say.

"It's a rare form of wolfbane. He has to bring me the bullet," Derek continues.

"Why?" Stiles asks.

"Because I'm gonna die without it." Derek pulls up his sleeve once again and the wound has gotten horribly worse, dripping dark blood and the veins around it a sickly black colour.

"Okay. You know, that really doesn't look like anything some echinacea and a good night of sleep couldn't take care of," Stiles says, making me look at him.

"Look, if we want to keep him alive, we don't have time for joking around, " I say.

"When the infection reaches my heart, it'll kill me," Derek adds, standing up to search through some drawers.

"Positivity just isn't in your vocabulary, is it?" Stiles says.

"If he doesn't get here with the bullet in time - last resort," Derek says.

"Which is?"

Derek turns around with a mechanical saw in his hand.

"You're gonna cut off my arm."

The blood drains out of Stiles' face and his eyes widen, standing there in silence.

"Woah, okay, why don't you let me do it so we don't end up with two dead people here?" I say.