Prologue

SIX YEARS EARLIER

My aunt carried the luggage from the trunk to the front door of her house. I followed with a bag in my hand that I insisted on carrying. What my aunt Kate didn't know, is that this bag contained a few of my parents belongings. My dad's glasses, my mom's books and a beautiful silver pendant with our family crest: A wolf underneath a moon, arrows scattered around it. Kate opened the door and let me in, showed me my room, kept making jokes like she always does. But something about them was off that day.

I listened to what she said, but her words didn't seem to register. All I could think about was how my little ten-year-old hands would have to learn how to clean my dad's glasses. How I would have to learn how to read better if I wanted to read my mom's books. Because my parents would never be there again to do those things themselves.

Kate brought me to the living room, told me once again that my mother might come back, unlike my father. She freezed when she saw the silver pendant around my neck. She took it in her hands, looked at it for a minute, and let it go. And then she told me everything.

"Grace, sweetie, have you heard the story of Red Riding Hood?" she asked, a smirk on her lips.

"Mom read it to me all the time," I answered.

She winced a bit before continuing. 
"So you remember the big bad wolf, right?"

I told her I did.

She took my hand in hers and smiled at me.
"Let me tell you a secret, Gracie. Big bad wolves... they are real."

"Really? Can they talk, like in the story?"

"They can. They are human, but they can change into a wolf when they want to."

My mouth opened wide.
"I want to see one! Can I see one?"

She chuckled.
"Not yet, sweetie. They are dangerous."

"Are all of them bad?" I asked. I was so curious and amazed, this secret made me forget about my parents for a while.

"Unfortunately they are. But... they can also be stopped. How was the big bad wolf stopped in the story?" she asked.

"The hunter killed it," I said, and I gasped.
"Are those hunters real too?"

"Yes, Grace!  Do you want to know another secret?" she questioned.

"Tell me, aunt Kate!"

"My parents,  your uncle, me, even your parents, our entire family... we're hunters. And you will be one too."

I looked at her in surprise. I couldn't believe my family were so brave, real heroes, protecting the rest of the world.

"Do you want to be a hunter, Grace? Do you want to hunt those big bad werewolves?" she asked, looking me in the eyes with this serious gaze.

"Yes, aunt," I nodded.