Chapter 42

I survived the exams and will be graduating on Tuesday! Anyway, here's a new chapter!

***

"Did she tell any of you what she saw?" I ask, fiddling with an apple in my hands at our lunch table. Lydia isn't here yet, so we can talk about her, and more specifically her screaming episode at the ice rink yesterday. She's acting as if nothing's wrong, but something about her is definitely off.

"No," Allison says. "She's keeping it all to herself. I hope she's okay."

"Maybe it's because, you know, after she was attacked by..." Scott says, not finishing his sentence, but saying enough to make me flinch. I'm being extremely paranoid, but ever since the incident on the climbing wall happened, I always get the feeling someone's following me around, watching me, stalking me. But Peter's dead, so I'm imagining everything. That's what I repeat to myself every time I get the stressful feeling.

Stiles's head turns to me and our gazes lock, not saying much of anything except a reassurance to each other that it's fine.

When lunch is done, we get up from our tables, Allison taking Lydia's arm and walking off with her, leaving me to walk with Stiles and Scott, like I do most of the time anyway. We're almost near the exit of the room when Stiles stops us both.

"Hey," he says. "Do you see that?"

Stiles points at a lunch table.

"What, it's an empty table," Scott says.

"Yeah, but whose empty table?" Stiles asks.

"Boyd," Scott says, raising his eyebrows.

"You think Derek..." I trail off, the two guys looking at me worriedly.

"I'm gonna go to the ice rink after school, see if Boyd's there. Can you two check if he's home?" Scott asks me and Stiles.

"Sure," I nod.

"And if he's not at home, you call me, got it?" Scott asks. Stiles looks unsure about this. "What?"

"Maybe we should let him. Boyd, you know, man? You said Derek's giving them a choice, right?" Stiles says.

"We can't," Scott says.

"You gotta admit, Erica looks pretty good. You know, the word 'sensational' comes to mind," Stiles says, and I can't hide my glare. Is he fucking serious? Yesterday it was Lydia, now it's Erica, huh? This time I can't control my frustrations and they slip out in the form of an overly violent reaction.

"Yeah, how good do you think she's gonna look with a wolfsbane bullet in her head?" I snap, feeling the urge to pull the trigger myself. Stiles looks a bit startled.

"All right, all I'm saying is maybe this one isn't totally Scott's responsibility," he says.

"They all are," Scott replies. "And you know this thing's gonna get out of control. That makes me responsible."

"All right, I'm with you," Stiles says. "And I also gotta say this new found heroism is making me very attracted to you."

What?

"Shut up," Scott says, smiling a bit.

"No, seriously," Stiles says. "Do you wanna just try making out for a sec? Just to see how it feels."

Okay, so Stiles literally wants to get it on with everyone except for me. That's fine. I give up.

***

Stiles is ringing the doorbell violently, because me and him have been waiting here for minutes, and there's no Boyd to be seen. He's probably at the ice rink then, but Stiles doesn't want to give up