Chapter 45

"I'm getting tired," I say, noticing how our faces keep getting closer to the water, and our breathing faster and deeper.

"I don't think I can do this much longer," Stiles agrees, staring at his phone, still on the floor next to the pool.

"No, no, no. Don't even think about it," Derek yells.

"I can't hold him up if you go," I say, warning him.

"Would you just trust me this once?" Stiles says to Derek, shooting me a glare as well.

"No," Derek answers.

"Your girlfriend and I are keeping you alive, okay, have you noticed that?" Stiles yells.

"She's not my girlfriend," Derek says, annoyed. "We don't need your heartbroken bullshit right now."

"Enemies with benefits?" Stiles asks, still a snarky tone to his voice, making Derek roll his eyes and ignore the whole thing.

"When the paralysis wears off, who is gonna be able to fight that thing, you or me?" Derek asks Stiles. "You don't trust me, I don't trust you. You need me to survive, which is why you are not letting me go."

Stiles takes one apologetic look at me and then lets go of Derek, swimming to his phone.

"Stiles!" Derek yells, and I'm already struggling to keep us up, both of our faces underwater for short moments before I can pull us up again, slowly losing my grip on him.

Stiles swims to the edge, managing to grab the phone before the creature can get to him, and that's when I have to let Derek slip in the water, right as Stiles starts swimming back. Right now, it's a struggle to keep myself up, so I hold onto Stiles when he reaches me, frantically tapping on his phone's screen.

"Scott!" he yells when our friend picks up, but a second later, Stiles groans and throws his phone away, the device sinking in the water.

"Fucking hung up," he says, diving into the water and bringing Derek back up, me helping to support him again.

"Tell me you got him," Derek says, panting.

"No," I say. "This isn't working, we can't-"

"We can't stay up any longer," Stiles says, thinking what I'm thinking. "We need something to hold on to."

There's a handle on the diving board near the edge of the pool, and we make our way to it, but once Stiles latches on to the wet metal, his hand slips, and he takes us all with him as we sink down underwater. My adrenaline kicks in and I grab onto Stiles, only able to get one of the two guys, and I bring us up onto the floor at the edge of the pool, knowing this could kill us, but also knowing it's our only chance at survival.

"Fuck," I gasp, on top of him, our legs still in the water. Stiles lifts my head up and looks at me, eyes wide, waterdrops slowly streaming down his face, struggling to catch his breath. He holds on to me tightly, his hands on my back, and I revel in the feeling of safety, wishing we could be like this without having to go through all these life threatening experiences.

Suddenly, Derek gets pulled out of the pool, breathing heavily on the floor, and me and Stiles get pulled completely out of the water as well. I glance up to see Scott sending me a look, before his attention shifts to the creature still around here somewhere - and his body shifts as well.

The creature jumps down and acts immediately, faster than Scott, throwing him into a wall which is mostly covered by a large mirror. Scott doesn't seem very hurt, getting up instantly, but the mirror behind him gets completely shattered. The creature approaches Scott, ready to attack again, but Scott takes advantage of his surroundings and grabs a mirror shard, sticking it out to show he will use it. And then something strange happens.