Chapter 51

This is later than usual, sorry! I'm sure you will still enjoy :)

*

I sigh as I finally close the door to my room, locking it and letting my shoulders slump. It makes me feel a little safer, even though I know a simple lock wouldn't stop my grandfather.

He didn't hurt me, much to my surprise. All he did was yell a bit more and then send me to my room. As I take off my jeans, I wonder why he didn't even really punish me, and a heavy feeling grows in my stomach when I realise he might still do it anyway. Maybe he's waiting for something, maybe this is the calm before the storm. The thought fills me with dread.

I throw my jeans to the other end of the room, taking off the rest of my clothes as well in an effort to get rid of this hopelessly constricting feeling that's building inside of me. Harshly rubbing my eyes to stop the tears for now, I open my closet, looking for something warm and comfortable. Eventually, my eyes land on the messy heap on the bottom, and I kneel down to take a closer look. It's a maroon Beacon Hills lacrosse hoodie, Stilinski and 24 printed in white on the back. Underneath it lies a pair of grey sweatpants, also his. I almost forgot I still had them.

He let me borrow them on the night so many bad things happened – but it was also the night we kissed, and the night I fell asleep in his arms, so I can't help but choose these clothes to wear.

Sitting down on my bed and leaning against the headboard, I pull the hood over my head and breathe in the fabric, hugging myself tightly as I allow myself to fully relax. I washed his clothes, of course, to get out the blood stains, but they still smell like Stiles, like his house, like being pressed up against him. It's almost as good as the real thing, except his warmth isn't here next to me, and his voice isn't here to tell me I'm okay, and I can't look him in the eyes-

Before I know what's happening, I'm crying into the sweater, thinking about what Gerard might do to me, and how much I miss Kate and my parents, and how it's all getting a little too much to handle. It escalates into heavy sobs, but I find myself slowly calming down after, grabbing a tissue to clean myself up and blow my nose, and I might feel stuffy and like my head will explode, but I also feel a sense of relief. I guess letting out your emotions for once does pay off.

The doorbell rings and I choose to ignore it, lying down and covering my face with my arm, trying to decide if I should listen to music for a bit or just take a nap.

"Grace!"

It's Victoria's voice, not Gerard's or anything, but I'm still on edge, sitting up and brushing the hair out of my face.

"Yeah?" I shout, clearing my throat when I notice it's a bit hoarse.

"Stiles is coming up!" she yells, making my heartbeat speed up immediately, and I jump up from the bed when I hear footsteps on the stairs.

Why is he here? What's going on?

"Uh, Grace?" I hear him on the other side of the door. "Can I come in?"

"Yeah," I nod, worrying about how red and puffy my eyes probably look.

I see the door handle move down, but nothing happens. Oh.

"Wait a sec," I say, walking to the door and taking a deep breath before unlocking it, the door opening as soon as I twist the key.

"Hey," he says, eyes trailing over my face as he comes closer, making me take a step backward, a little embarrassed because he looks great and I'm just a mess right now. He closes the door behind him and turns to me again.

"I- you weren't answering my texts and, I don't know, I was scared Gerard did something and I just needed to see if you were-"

He stops when he looks down a little, eyes widening.

"Are you wearing my...?"

Oh shit. I'm wearing his clothes.

I guess... I guess maybe it's obvious now.