Chapter 53

CHAPTER 53

“Oh, uh, we can't be in detention together. I have a restraining order against these tools,” Jackson explains once he enters the library, seeing us sit there all ready for detention.

“All of these tools?” Mr. Harris asks, pointing vaguely at all the students here.

“No, just us tools,” Stiles clarifies, wrapping an arm around both Scott and I, forming the magical idiot trio that we are. 

“Fine,” Mr. Harris says, gesturing to the table at the other end of the room, far removed from the others – including Matt, Allison and Jackson. “You three, over there.”

“I'm gonna kill him,” Scott says once we’re sat down in our little corner.

“No, you're not. You're going to find out who's controlling him and then you're gonna help save him,” Stiles says.

“No. You were right, let's kill him,” Scott says.

“What is it with you two and feeling the need to murder this innocent, albeit douchey guy?” I ask.

“How do you live without feeling it?” Stiles asks.

“I have morals,” I retort, showing a smug smile as he rolls his eyes playfully.

“Yeah - I also have an strong intolerance for assholes,” he says.

“Oh, that’s sad. You can’t tolerate yourself,” I smile, watching him get offended and widen his eyes.

“You little- I can’t tolerate you, you giant asshole!”

“Oh, I think you can,” I say, smirking, leaving a subtle blush on his face.

“Hey,” Scott says. “What if it's Matt? I mean, this whole thing comes back to the video, right? They used his camera. And Danny said that Matt was the one who found the two hours of footage missing.”

“Exactly! He's trying to throw suspicion off himself,” Stiles says.

“So he makes Jackson kill Isaac's dad and the mechanic working on your jeep?” I ask him.

“Yes!” he nods vigorously.

“Why?”

“Because,” Stiles says, taking another glance at the guy in question, struggling not to glare. “He's evil.”

“You just don't like him,” Scott says.

“The guy just... bugs me,” Stiles says, glancing at me before looking back at his best friend. “I don't know what it is. Just look at his face.”

“Uh, Grace,” Scott begins awkwardly. “Do you remember what Matt was like, when, you know, you first met him?”

I take a moment to quietly curse my existence.

“What- what he was like?”

“Yeah, you know, if he was acting different than he is now, or anything,” Scott clarifies, seemingly already regretting asking the question in the first place.

“He was drunk,” I just say. Stiles is staring pointedly at the table. “I didn’t know what he was like. I didn’t know him. I thought that was obvious.”

“Okay,” Scott says. “Then- never mind. Any other theories?”

Jackson takes this uncomfortable silence and uses it to get up and run out of the room. Mr. Harris, panicking a little, follows after him, and, before slamming the door shut behind them, shouts a “No one leaves their seats!” at us.

Of course, we all listen and stay in place.

Oh, who am I kidding.

The three of us make our way to where Erica’s sitting, watching us approach with a smirk, and also a hint of curiosity. Stiles grabs my hand and I lace our fingers together when we get there, keeping our bodies as close as possible to hide our connected hands - and because it’s so so nice to have him close.