Chapter 4

When I finally found Allison, we made our way to the principal's office and sorted some things out. We got our schedules and the vice-principal gave us a quick tour of the school. He told us he would introduce us to our class, but he had to take care of something first. So that's why I'm currently waiting outside with Allison, who's on the phone with her mom, again.

"Mom, three calls on my first day of school is a little overdoing it," she says.

Allison's mom is a bit overprotective, just like her father. Even though Kate's like a mother to me, she would never do this. And I'm totally fine with that.

"Everything except a pen. Oh my god, I didn't actually forget a pen, Grace do you have one for me?" she asks, putting the phone aside for a second.

"No, I only brought one," I answer sheepishly.

"That's okay," she says, putting the phone back to her ear.

"Okay, okay. I gotta go. Love ya," she ends the call.

We give each other a look as she rolls her eyes. These worried phone calls are getting seriously annoying.

"Sorry to keep you waiting," the vice-principal approaches us.

"So, Allison, you were saying San Francisco isn't where you grew up?" he asks, while we walk to the classroom.

"No, but we lived there for more than a year, which is unusual in my family," she responds.

Frequently moving is part of the hunter lifestyle, at least for her family. It's hard to believe that Allison isn't suspicious of this, of her parents' "weaponry selling" job.

Me and Kate have never moved, we've always lived in this little town called Clarksburg, situated not too far from here. Sometimes, we stayed in hotels for a while, to get closer to a pack of werewolves, but I suppose it would be hard to explain something like that to an unknowing Allison. That's why Chris and Victoria never did it.

"Well, hopefully Beacon Hills will be your last stop for a while," the vice-principal adds before opening the door to our classroom.

Ready to get judged?
Go.

I follow him and Allison in the room, seeing all of the students' faces move to look at us. I notice Stiles, who gives me a smile, and Scott, who is too busy gazing at Allison to even notice me. I see where this is going.

"Class, these are our new students, Allison Argent and Grace Arian. Please do your best to make them feel welcome," the vice-principal introduces us.

We both say thanks and look for a place to sit. Allison takes a seat behind Scott, and I find a seat in the back of the classroom, next to a blonde haired girl. We quickly greet each other and I can finally relax. That wasn't too bad.

I take a glance at Allison, and see Scott suddenly giving her a pen.
Wait, how did he know she needed one?
Okay, I probably just didn't see her ask him.

"Thanks," Allison says to him, looking surprised.

Maybe it's some type of Beacon Hills high school ritual? Give the new girl a pen to welcome her?
Well, if so, I'm wondering where my welcome gift is.

***

Me and Allison are walking through the hallway when she abruptly stops. When I see who she's looking at, I snort.

And Scott is staring right back at her.
I give it a week.

Next to Scott stands his trusty companion, Stiles. He waves at me and smiles, and I'm smiling back, until he looks away and gets this adoring look in his eyes.

Over there is Lydia. And she's coming towards us.
Oh dear.

She glances at me and then turns her attention to Allison, or more specifically, her clothes.

"That jacket is absolutely killer. Where'd you get it?" Lydia asks her.

"My mom was a buyer for a boutique back in San Francisco," she answers timidly.

"And you are my new best friend. Do you two know each other?" she asks.

"Yeah, actually, we're cousins," I reply.

"Hmm. Apparently fashion sense isn't genetic," she sneers, looking me up and down, almost in disgust.

"Well, apparently this is a school, not a fashion runway," I retort.

She looks at me with an unreadable expression.

"I like you. Do something about the clothes and we can be best friends too," she says.

I stare at her, flabbergasted. This is not how I expected my first conversation with Lydia to be.

"Hey, Jackson," Lydia says, when a handsome guy joins us.

Oh jeez, now they're kissing. I look away and try not to gag as Mr. and Mrs. Popular keep doing their thing.

While avoiding the kissing noises, the voice of a girl I don't know catches my attention.

"Can someone tell me how the new girls are here all of five minutes, and they're already hanging out with Lydia's clique?" she blurts, sounding annoyed.

"Because they're hot. Beautiful people herd together," I hear Stiles answer.

I turn back to face Lydia and Jackson, feeling mildly uncomfortable. I don't think I was supposed to hear that. Anyway, I think he mostly meant Allison. She's beautiful and innocent and girly. And I'm just Grace. The opposite of gracefulness. But actually, most of the time I'm glad that I'm like this. I  would not be able to survive a day with Lydia's high heels on.

"So, this weekend, there's a party," she speaks.

"A party?" Allison asks.

"Yeah, Friday night. You two should come," Jackson adds.

Ergh. I'm not a big fan of parties, like Allison. Especially when people like these two are our company.

"Uh, I can't. It's family night this Friday, Allison lies.

"Yeah, family night. Thanks for asking," I say.

"You sure? Everyone's going after the scrimmage, " Jackson says.

"You mean like football?" I ask.

"Football's a joke in Beacon. The sport here is lacrosse. We've won the state championship for the past three years," he remarks.

"Because of a certain team captain," Lydia practically purrs.

So, the team captain is dating the popular hot girl. No doubt these two are the king and queen of Beacon Hills high school.

"Well, we have practice in a few minutes," Jackson says.
"That is, if you don't have anywhere else-"

Allison cuts him off.
"Well, we were going to-"

"Perfect. You're coming," Lydia insists. She and Jackson lead the way and we follow behind.

"Allison," I whisper.
"What is lacrosse?"

"I have no idea," she replies.