Chapter 29

"I know this might not be the best time to ask, but..."

Stiles and I still have our arms wrapped around each other, until I let go to look at him.

"Go on," I say, confused and curious.

"Uh, I was wondering if-"

Whatever Stiles was gonna ask, I'll never know, because he's interrupted by his phone ringing.

"It's Scott," he frowns when he looks at the screen, taking the call.

"Yeah?"

"Woah, what?!"

"Yeah, yeah, okay, we'll be there."

He ends the call and puts his phone away, taking my hand and leading me out of the house. Of course I pay attention to every touch of his now, and the contact sends a wave of warmth through me.

"Scott's got an emergency. Melissa's date is Peter freaking Hale," Stiles says.

"Holy shit," I say. "What are we gonna do about it?"

"Crash his party," Stiles smiles. "Quite literally."

"I don't get-"

"Just get in the jeep, come on!" He opens the door for me, but I hesitate when I see the messages on my phone. Apparently my aunt texted me a while ago.

"Wait, wait," I say.

"What?"

"My aunt's asking me to come hunting," I tell him honestly.

"Well, say no."

"Okay, she's not asking, more like ordering," I say, texting Kate that I can't join her tonight.

"Grace, we don't have time-"

"Fine! I'm getting in the car."

"Good," he says, but as soon as we're seated, my phone rings with a call from Kate. She doesn't greet me, nor gives me time to greet her when I answer.

"Gracie, we're gonna catch Derek tonight, we're so close! You want to be here, sweetie."

"I'm sorry, I just... have something right now and I can't get there, but I promise next time I'll be around," I tell her, as Stiles starts driving. He's still paying attention to the speed limit, even though we need to get there quick, wherever "there" is, or Melissa's really in danger.

"Faster," I tell Stiles, and he hesitates a second before speeding up the jeep.

"Oh," Kate laughs. "You're with Stiles, aren't you?"

I feel my face flush in embarrassment when I realise that my comment to Stiles might've sounded a little weird.

"Yes- Kate, we've talked about this before, for fuck's sake," I say, my voice getting rougher as my anger returns. Stiles notices and glances at me, questioning and concerned, but I avoid his gaze.

"Sure, sweetie. I just don't want to have to tell Chris that he was right when he was worrying about Stiles getting in the way," she says. "I'm missing my companion. Thinking about recruiting a new one."

"Nothing's getting in the way, Kate, I swear. Wait, what do you mean?" I ask.

"Nothing, I have to go. Bye sweetie," she ends the call.

"What was that? That sounded weird," Stiles says.

"Nothing. It's nothing, she just wasn't too happy. Hey, is that the car?" I ask, seeing it in the distance, parked on the side of the road.