Chapter 12

We wait in front of Derek's house, hidden behind a few bushes, with shovels in our hands. This is so strange. I've never seen the house before, except on TV once, and it must've been such a nice house before the fire happened. Now it's grey, almost torn apart and it smells and looks dead. It's impossible to see this house and not see the disaster, the panic, the coldness that followed. It's creeping me out, and the darkness surrounding us is not helping.

And of course the body is buried right next to this place.

"You alright?" Stiles whispers to me. I hesitate.

"Quiet!" Scott whisper-shouts and he's right, because Derek must be able to hear us, our movements, our beating hearts. We just have to hope he isn't paying attention to his surroundings.

Derek leaves his house, gets into his car and drives off. Seems like we're lucky.

"Let's go," Stiles says. We all get up and approach the house.

"Wait, something is different," Scott says.

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"Different how?" Stiles adds.

"I don't know... Let's get this over with," Scott says.

The three of us start digging and I'm relatively calm, but in the back of my mind I have this irrational fear that I'm digging up my mom's corpse. We keep digging for so long though, a couple of hours, that I almost forget what I'm doing and just keep digging, removing heaps of dirt over and over and over again.

"This is taking way too long," Scott says.

"Just keep going," Stiles says.

"What if he comes back?"

"Then we get the hell out of here," I say.

"What if he catches us?" Scott asks.

"He would definitely catch us," I admit.

"I have a plan," Stiles says.

"Which is?"

"We each run a different way and whoever he catches first, too bad!"

"I hate that plan!"

"Wow! Stop, stop, stop!" Stiles yells, his eyes clearly widening, even with barely any light shining on us.

We all look at the hole we dug, but inside of it is not a human's body. It's a wolf's. And it's only half of it.
But... it's not a werewolf. It's an actual wolf.

"Holy shit," I say.

"What the hell is that?" Stiles screams.

"It's a wolf," Scott answers.

"Yeah! I can see that! I thought you said you smelled blood? As in human blood?!"

"I told you something was different."

"This doesn't make sense. We've got to get out of here," I say.

"Yeah... let's cover it," Stiles says.

We start filling the hole back up with dirt, until Stiles freezes and fixes his gaze on something behind me.

"What's wrong?" Scott asks.

I turn around and see what Stiles is looking at.

"Do you see that flower?" he asks.

"It's wolfsbane," I say.

"That's what I thought!" Stiles says.

"What's that?" Scott asks.

"You don't know?" I ask, leaving my shovel on the ground and stepping closer to the flower.