Chapter 13

Since Chris and Victoria aren't home and Allison is in her room stressing over the game that will take place in a couple hours, me and Stiles decide to watch the movie in the living room. We're both tense and nervous, worrying about Scott, but hopefully Star Wars: Episode V will help us to relax a bit. We sit down on the couch in silence, and when the dvd menu shows on the tv screen, I hear footsteps on the stairs.

"Stiles..?" Allison says doubtfully.

"He's forcing me to watch the Star Wars franchise," I tell her.

"I'm pretty sure you suggested it," he butts in.

"Okay, maybe I did. Wanna join in, Allison?" I ask.

"No, I'm... not sure Star Wars would be that enjoyable to me... and I have to get ready for the game tonight," she says, and I chuckle.

"Alright, Allison."

She smiles and then she's gone, obviously not in the mood for a geeky film like this one.

"Should I start the movie now?" he asks and I nod in response.

***

I like this movie more than the first one we watched, no doubt about it, but again I can't fully concentrate on it because thoughts about the body we found in the woods and Scott's disappearance are consuming me. When the movie is paused, it takes a few seconds for me to realise.

"Why did you pause it?" I ask Stiles, turning to look at him. There's some kind of discomfort in his manners and I wonder what his deal is.

"I- uh, I wanted to talk to you about something. Well, more like ask you about something. Is that okay?" he asks, seemingly trying to study my reaction.

"About what?" I ask, growing nervous.

"About Derek Hale," he says slowly. I break eye contact with him.

"Okay," I say, saying something in an effort to distract him from my reaction. Soon after, I realise I've actually said yes, and I feel my heart rate increasing.

"You... said you didn't know him, but I have a feeling you do. And he knows you too. And he brought up your parents when you were talking to him. So, there's something you're not telling us. And I don't blame you for that, I wouldn't even have asked if this was just something... I- I just feel like whatever happened with you and Derek and your parents is something important. Something that's necessary for us to know. Is that right?" he says, clearly trying to be as careful about this as possible.

"I... I guess," I say, looking down at my hands.

I feel his eyes on me and glance at him. Then I just sigh. I'm gonna have to tell him.

"You... you know what happened about six years ago, right? To Derek's family?" I begin.

"The fire?"

I nod.

"His family... consisted mostly of werewolves. But there were humans in the house too. Relatives, friends, I don't know."

He nods lightly, gesturing for me to continue.

"My parents were there that night..." I tell him.

"Woah... they were hunters too?"

"Yeah. But no, don't think they're responsible for it, I- I know they're not, I know-"

"No, I believe you. It's okay. Why were they there?" he asks. I calm down a bit.

"I've always been told they were trying to save people when the fire happened. There were humans in there, so it's not something we as hunters would agree with. It's not something anyone should agree with," I say, losing my temper a bit.