Chapter 28

"Allison," Lydia says. "When you said you needed to stop for an errand before we went shopping, a five-mile hike in the woods was not what I was expecting."

It was not what I was expecting either, but I have to say it's not bad. I enjoy shopping sometimes too though, and I was glad when Allison and Lydia asked me, because I'm desperate to do something normal and not anxiety-inducing for a change.

"Before I forget, I wanted to ask if you're okay with something. Jackson asked me to the winter formal," Allison says, and I suddenly feel quite uncomfortable witnessing this conversation. I'm also kind of confused as to why Allison would want to take Jackson to the formal, which is in a couple days.

"Did he?" Lydia just asks, careful not to let any emotions show on her face.

"Yeah. Just as friends. But I just wanted to make sure you're okay with it first."

"Sure. As long as it's just friends," Lydia says, and it's sad how clearly she's trying to hide that she doesn't like it.

"Well, yeah, I mean- it's not like I would take him to the coach's office during lacrosse practice to make out with him or anything," Allison says casually, and I wince as if that burn is actually hurting me.

"Oh god, Allison," I mutter.

"Uh, about that..." Lydia begins. "I'm sorry."

Lydia Martin said she was sorry. And I witnessed this historical moment.

"I accept your apology," Allison says.

"I think you're kind of even now," I say, wanting the subject to change to something less sensitive and awkward. "Besides, I'm sure Lydia has someone else who'll be her servant at the formal, right?"

Lydia just looks at me and opens her eyes a bit wider.

"I'm keeping my options open," she says. "How about you?"

"I'm gonna go alone and watch everyone get drunk," I say honestly.

"Wait, you're not going with someone?" Allison asks, surprised.

"Uh, no," I say, frowning.

"No one asked you?"

"No? Why are you surprised?" I ask.

"I- I was just thinking that-... never mind," Allison says.

"What are we doing here anyway?'" Lydia asks.

"I wanted to try this out," Allison says, getting a bow and arrow out of her bag. I recognise the arrow, it's one of our exploding ones.

"Where did you get that?" I ask her.

"I found it," she says, and a worrying thought forms in the back of my mind. Chris or Kate don't just leave weapons lying around in the house. So unless Allison deliberately searched through our weapons, someone left it for her to find. And if that's true, that someone is definitely Kate.

I can't imagine how much more danger Allison would be in if she became a hunter, and I can't let Kate throw her into that life. After this, I need to go talk to her.

"What does that do?" Lydia asks, looking at the arrow.

"We're about to find out," Allison says, shooting the arrow at a tree in the distance. Just like I expected, it explodes.

"What the hell was that?" Lydia asks.

"I don't know," Allison says.

"It was an explosion," I say matter-of-factly.