Chapter 48

Scott jumps into the jeep, panting as Stiles presses his foot to the gas, making us drive off from wherever we just were.

"What happened?" I ask Scott, holding on to my seat as Stiles makes a rough turn.

"I fought it," Scott breathes. "With Derek. And your uncle was there. And Gerard was there, and the kanima just stopped? When it saw him."

"Gerard made it stop?" Stiles asks as we get on the road.

"Yeah- there it is! Stiles, follow it!" Scott yells.

"Where? Where?!" Stiles asks, frantically looking around.

"Keep your eyes on the road and take the next right," I tell him.

"Yes sir," Stiles says, shooting me a glance as he calms himself and focuses on the driving.

The more we drive, the further away from us the kanima gets, its movements incredibly quick and calculated.

"It's too fucking fast," Stiles says.

"Just keep going," Scott says, right when the cars in front of us slow to a halt.

"FUCKING RED LIGHT," Stiles yells, hitting the steering wheel.

"I can still see it!" Scott says. "I can still-... I can't see it anymore. Okay, just stop at that building over there when we reach it, it's where I last saw it."

"You can't catch his scent?" Stiles asks once he stops the car next to the building Scott was pointing at. We all get out and look around, watching the people lining up in front of the building, waiting to get inside.

"I don't think he has one," Scott sighs.

"Any clue where he's going?" I ask.

"To kill someone."

"Ah, that explains the claws and the fangs and all that. Good," Stiles retorts. "Makes perfect sense now."

Scott and I both give Stiles a look.

"What? Come on, I'm 147 pounds of pale skin and fragile bone, okay? Sarcasm is my only defense," Stiles says.

"Just help me find it," Scott says.

"Not it. Jackson," Stiles says.

"Yeah, I know. I- I know," Scott says.

"All right, but does he know that? Did anybody else see him back at your house?" Stiles asks.

"I mean, I don't think so, but he already passed Derek's test anyway," Scott answers.

"Yeah, but that's just the thing. How did he pass the test?" Stiles asks.

"I don't know, it's not an official kanima test or something. It's not guaranteed to work," I say.

"But Derek said that a snake can't be poisoned by its own venom, right? So when's the kanima not the kanima?" Stiles asks.

"When it's Jackson," Scott says.

"Uh, guys," I say, looking up at an open window in the building, seeing a long tail peek out. "See that?"

We all watch as the kanima's tail disappears into the building completely.

"He's inside," Scott says.

"What's he gonna do in there?" I ask, dreading the answer. Scott's eyes widen.

"I know who he's after," Scott says quietly.

"What, how? Did you smell something?" Stiles asks.

"Armani," Scott nods.

"And what does that mean?" I ask.