Chapter 41

Hi!

Before we continue with the story, I've got something to tell you guys. I'll soon be starting my last exams before I graduate high school (omg) and that means that I won't have time to give you another chapter until around June 23rd, because that's when they're done. So don't fear if you don't hear much from me for a while, I'll just be studying my ass off :)
Also, this story now has more than fifty thousand reads which I can't even fathom and I want to thank you all so much for reading and caring.

And that was that, now on to the chapter!

***

Coach Finstock prepared the climbing wall for us today during gym. This will be fun. Although it reminds me a lot of being young and training to fight something I barely knew existed, it does mean I'm completely comfortable on the wall, and it's a fun exercise anyway.

If Coach follows the line up we made ourselves, Matt and Erica are climbing next, because Matt's standing in front of me on the left side of the wall, while Erica's standing in front of Stiles on the right. Then I hope Stiles and I will have to climb together, because I have no idea if he's good at it or not and it'll be exciting to find out.

"Grace."

I look at the source of the sound to see Matt's turned around and his attention is on me. Well, this is extremely uncomfortable.

"Uh, hi," I say.

"You wanna climb with me, see which one of us can get to the top first?" he asks, his eyes flickering down to probably check me out or something, and I start feeling naked in my sports outfit.

"I don't think that's possible," I say. "You're up with Erica."

"Aw, come on, you just think I can't beat you. Grace," he says, taking a step closer until he's completely in my personal space, and then moving his head even closer until his mouth's almost touching my ear.

"You remember I got some muscle on me," he whispers, resting his hand on my hip, and I feel my cheeks heat up immediately.

"Y-yeah," I say, taking a step back to create distance between him and I. "I don't need another demonstration."

Matt keeps his eyes on me, raising an eyebrow, not happy with my answer.

"Maybe you just don't know what you need," he says, and it sounds so cold I wonder if that was a threat, or if I'm just overreacting.

When Scott and Allison let themselves drop back down after reaching the top, Coach blows his whistle.

"All right, next two. Matt, Erica, let's go. The wall."

Matt climbs all the way to the top with ease, letting himself drop down when Erica's barely in the middle of the parcours. I can't see her face because her wild blonde curls hide it from view, so I don't know what's going on. She's not moving anymore, though, and it seems like she's shaking in place. Is she scared of heights?

"Erica," Coach says. "Dizzy? Is it vertigo?"

"Vertigo's a dysfunction of the vestibular system of the inner ear," Lydia says. "She's just freaking out."

"Erica," Coach tries to catch her attention.

"I'm fine," Erica says, her voice shaky.

"Coach, maybe it's not safe. You know she's epileptic," Allison says, and that's when I realise I completely forgot about that.

"Why doesn't anybody tell me this stuff?" Coach says, panicking himself now. "I have to get- Erica, y-you're fine. Just- just kick off from the wall. There's a mat to catch you. Come on."