Chapter 47

70K reads is fucking crazy. That's all.

*

"She failed the test," Derek says, standing across me and Scott in our school's parking lot, looking as intimidating as possible. 

"Yeah, which doesn't prove anything," Scott says. "Lydia's different."

"I know. At night she turns into a homicidal walking snake," Derek retorts.

"And how are you so sure about that?" I ask, making him pause and shoot me an annoyed look.

"That's right, you aren't," I say.

"I'm not going to let you kill her," Scott tells him.

"Who said I was gonna do it? I didn't form a pack for nothing," Derek smirks.

Oh. So it's gonna be the betas.

"Then I'm not gonna let them kill her," Scott says.

"I don't know why you think you have to protect everyone now, Scott, but even so, Lydia has killed people and she's gonna do it again, and next time, it's gonna be one of us," Derek says.

"What if you're wrong?" I ask, meeting his eyes.

"She was mauled by an alpha. It's her."

"You saw that kanima thing up close, you know it's not like us," Scott says.

"But it is!" Derek shouts. "We're all shapeshifters. You don't know what you're dealing with. It happens rarely and it happens for a reason."

"What reason?" I ask.

"Sometimes the shape you take reflects the person that you are. Everyone calls her cold blooded," Derek says.

"Well, what if she's immune?" Scott asks. "What if she's got something inside of her that makes her immune to the bite, which is why she didn't get paralyzed?"

"No one's immune! I've never seen it or heard of it. It's n- ... it's never happened," Derek says, looking a bit worried.

"What about Jackson?" Scott asks.

Derek is lost for words, and Scott notices.

"That's why you tested him, isn't it? Because you gave him what he wanted, didn't you?"

Oh my god. He bit Jackson?!

"Scott-"

"Peter said the bite either kills you or turns you. You were probably hoping that he would die. But nothing happened, right? And you have no idea why, do you?" Scott asks him. 

"No," Derek admits, looking away.

"Well, I have a theory," Scott says. "Lydia's immune, and somehow she passed it on to Jackson."

There's a moment of silence, and I give Scott a confused look.

"You know I'm right," Scott says.

"No!" Derek yells.

"We don't know anything for sure, that's the thing," I say.

"You cannot do this!" Scott shouts at Derek, ignoring my words.

"Look, I can't let her live! You should have known that!" Derek replies.

"I was hoping I would convince you, but then..." Scott says, eyes glowing, claws appearing. "I wasn't counting on it."

I put a hand on Scott's arm when I see Derek take a step forward as well.

"Is that really gonna help?" I ask Scott, who frowns at me.