Chapter 30

Hi guys! I just had my last exam today so here's another chapter :)

***

I wake up at 4 AM in my own bed with my phone lying next to me, my head pounding. Kate must've put me
here, a nice gesture that I don't expect from her anymore. I force myself to fall asleep again so I don't resemble a zombie tomorrow at school, but of course it doesn't work. My head hurts and my neck is sore where Kate injected whatever it was into my veins, and I can't stop thinking about what happened the day before. I finally realised that Kate might be a little crazier than I thought, but despite her insanity, she had a point about one thing. Especially after finding out that Kate is responsible for the Hale house fire, I need to start thinking about which side I'm actually on. It's always been obvious, really, that I'd be with the hunters. I was born a part of the hunters. But now, after befriending Scott and Stiles and seeing this frankly psychotic side of my aunt, I'm really not sure anymore. Maybe I'm just destined to be the person who sits right in the middle of it all, and still doesn't really belong on either side. Or maybe I'm really with the werewolves now.

Even if I am, though, I can't bring myself to call or text anyone to tell them about Kate's confession. I just physically can't tell anyone. So I do what has become a habit of mine: I keep it all inside and try to cope.

The next day at school, Stiles keeps asking me what happened the day before with Kate, why it looked like I was panicking, and why I didn't answer his calls at night. I don't tell him anything, and it keeps going back and forth like that, until I snap at him and he backs off, obviously kind of hurt. Allison's still mad at me for keeping the supernatural secret from her, so she's not talking to me either, and it leaves way too much silence for my thoughts to take over.

When I enter my room after school, there's a dress and a pair of heels I've never seen before lying on my bed. The heels are a soft lilac, simple looking, but the dress is the absolute opposite. It's a short dress with full length sleeves, but they're almost transparent, except for the flowers and leaves scattered on them. The neckline is transparent as well, but the closer to the waist, the more these tiny branches and white flowers cover the fabric. The dress ends in a white skirt, but there's a lilac hue to the entire thing, giving it a magical atmosphere. The black bow tied around the waist completes the absolutely beautiful piece of clothing. It looks like something out of a fairytale, something worth a lot of money, undoubtedly. And I am in awe.

When I get closer, I take the note that's next to it and start reading.

Gracie,

I noticed you didn't have a dress for the formal tonight, so I picked one out for you (with a little help from Victoria). I personally would've gone for something a little sexier, but I know that's not exactly your thing, so I chose something I thought was more fitting. Doesn't it remind you of those fairytales I read to you when you were young? I think you should read them again, sweetie, think about the good and bad in this world. I only mean the best for you.

~Your favorite aunt

I stare at the note, trying to decide what I'm supposed to make from this. Is this Kate apologising? Or is this her trying to manipulate me into staying on her side?

Regardless, it frustrates me, because I'm forced to accept this... apology, whatever, because I can't just let this fucking pretty dress lay here untouched when I have a formal to attend tonight. I'm gonna wear it and love it, and Kate knows that.

"Grace?"

I turn around to see Allison in the doorway, her expression distanced.

"We're going shopping with Lydia," she says, as if I don't have a choice in the matter.