Chapter 50

Fifty chapters. Eighty thousand reads. Thank you.

And P.S: You'll like the next one.

*

“So, Danny told me he was recovering some video for Jackson, which he left on the tablet in his car – you know, the video that could show Jackson turning, but uh, as you all can see...” Scott says, his hand on the trunk he just opened. We came back to Jungle’s parking lot to find the video, which might show Jackson turning into the kanima. “The trunk’s unlocked, and no tablet.”

“If Jackson doesn't remember being the kanima, he's definitely not gonna remember stealing Danny's tablet,” Scott adds.

“Why would he steal the thing if he doesn't even know what's on it?” Stiles asks.

“What if someone else took it?” Allison suggests.

“Then somebody else knows what he is,” I say.

“Uh, which could mean someone's protecting him?” Scott says.

“Oh,” Allison says. “Ms. Morell translated the bestiary for me, and it said "the kanima seeks a friend”. That friend could be protecting Jackson.”

“Okay, hold on,” Stiles says. “Somebody watches Jackson make a video of himself turning into the kanima, and then just erases part of it so he wouldn't know? I mean, who would do that?”

“Somebody who wanted to protect him,” I repeat.

“There's something else, Scott says. “Stiles, you said the only thing you found online about the kanima is that it goes after murderers. What if that's actually true?”

“No, it can't be. Tried to kill all of us, remember?” Stiles says. “I don't know about you guys, but I haven't murdered anybody lately.”

“Scott finished off Peter. I have plenty of hunting experience, and Allison is being trained to be one,” I tell Stiles. “We’re murderers if you want to look at it that way.”

“But I - I don't think that it was actually trying to kill us. Remember when we were at Isaac's the first time, it just went right by us, didn't it?” Scott asks Allison.

“You're right, it just ran off,” Allison nods.

“And it didn't kill you in the mechanic's garage,” I tell Stiles, seeing their point.

“Well, yeah, but it tried to kill us and Derek in the pool,” he retorts.

“Did it?” Scott asks.

“It looked like it,” I say.

“It would've killed us,” Stiles says. “It was waiting for us to come out.”

“What if it was just trying to keep you in?” Scott asks.

“I don’t know, maybe,” I say, frowning.

“Why do I feel so violated all of a sudden?” Stiles asks.

“Because there's something else going on,” Scott nods. “We don't know what it is. We don't know anything about what's going on with Jackson, or why someone's protecting him.”

"Know thy enemy,” Allison says out of nowhere, making us all look at her. “Just something my grandfather said.”

She’s been spending way too much time with him, and I know he’s not a good influence. What’s frustrating is that I can’t really do anything about it without Gerard finding out and... punishing me, in one way or another.

“You should stay away from him,” I still try.

“But he’s there for me,” Allison says, almost glaring at me.