Chapter 26

It's 2 AM when my phone rings and I try my hardest not to groan when I grab it, seeing Stiles' ID light up the screen. I haven't even had a decent amount of sleep, since I was out hunting a few hours ago until Chris and Kate sent me home to get some sleep. No rest for the wicked, I guess. I answer the call, praying it's something worth losing sleep for.

"Stiles, I swear, if you're drunk again-"

"No, listen, we're picking you up. Derek's being chased by the police and your family, so we're gonna need to help him out."

"Why are you getting yourselves involved?" I ask, rubbing my eyes.

"Because we need him, according to Scott, at least. Come on, Grace, you know how the hunters think. You could help us. Please."

I sigh, knowing that I actually want to be there as well, because one day Scott and Stiles' luck will run out and then maybe I could stop them from dying a horrible death.

"When are you picking me up?" I ask, and I practically hear his smile over the phone.

"Yes! Uh... actually, we're waiting in front of your house," Stiles says, and I walk up to the window. Sure enough, there's the jeep and Scott and Stiles in front of it, both waving innocently.

"I'll be there in five," I say, ending the call.

***

I'm thoroughly regretting my decision to join them by the time me, Scott and Stiles are being chased by the police. We took Derek's car because it's faster and of course we can't exactly use the sheriff's son's car for this chase. And still, Scott is driving ridiculously slow.

"Faster?" he asks.

"Much faster," I say. He speeds up a tiny bit, and I almost hit him.

"Scott, I don't think you're grasping the concept of a car chase here," Stiles says.

"If I go faster, I'll kill us," Scott says.

"Well, if you don't go faster, they're gonna kill us!"

After a while, we actually manage to lose them, and we stop the car right in front of Derek.

"Get in," I say, and he does, now riding shotgun, me and Stiles in the backseat.

"What part of laying low don't you understand?" Scott asks Derek.

"Damn it, I had him!" Derek just yells, frustrated.

"Who, the Alpha?" Stiles asks.

"Yes! He was right in front of me, and the freaking police showed up."

"Whoa, hey, they're just doing their jobs-" Stiles begins, feeling offended, but Derek cuts him off.

"Yeah, thanks to someone who decided to make me the most wanted fugitive in the entire state."

"Can we seriously get past that? I made a dumbass mistake. I get it," Scott says.

"Alright. How did you find him?" Stiles asks Derek. He just glares at us.

"Can you try to trust us for at least half a second?" Scott asks, getting annoyed.

"Yeah, all of us," Stiles adds, causing Derek to give me and Stiles even more murderous looks. "Or just him. We'll be back here," Stiles says.

"Look the last time I talked to my sister, she was close to figuring something out. She found two things. The first was a guy named Harris," Derek explains.

"Our chemistry teacher?" I ask, surprised and confused.

"Why him?" Scott asks.

"I don't know yet," Derek answers.