Chapter 58

HI! This story recently reached a hundred thousand reads and that's insane! Thank you all for reading!

Here's the chapter, sweethearts!

*

"I'm feeling so much second hand embarrassment right now," I say, ringing the doorbell to Lydia's house, Stiles standing next to me with a gift the size of a small elephant in his arms.

"You wouldn't have a gift if it wasn't for me!" Stiles says. "You're not even carrying it, you're the one who's like, trained and has muscles-"

"There's a purse in there, it weighs nothing," I retort.

"The box is heavy," Stiles says.

"You chose the box!" I shout.

"You said we had to have one-" he says, stopping when we notice the front door is open and Lydia's standing in the doorway, watching us with a smirk.

"Happy Birthday!" Stiles says.

"Just come in," Lydia shakes her head at the gift box. "Put it on the floor or something."

"Yeah, okay, sure," Stiles mutters, sighing when he places the box against the wall.

"Don't forget to try the punch," Lydia smiles, leaving us with a wave.

"How about that, Grace?" Stiles asks, pointing at the bowl of punch on the table in the distance. "It's over there."

"I don't really want any," I say.

"Aw, come on, it's a party, you have to try the punch!" he says, wrapping an arm around my waist.

"You know I don't like drinking," I tell him. "Or parties. Or anything."

"Look, I'm not asking you to get drunk," he says with a smile. "I'm just saying, just have one, okay? Just one? Just to take the edge off, you can let loose a little, babe."

I sigh.

"Okay, fine," I nod, smiling as he throws his fist in the air and runs over to the punch bowl, yelling that he'll be right back. I haven't even had one second to my own when Scott walks up to me.

"Have you seen Jackson anywhere?" I ask him.

"No. Seen Allison?" he asks.

"No," I say.

"You didn't come together?"

"No, I came with Stiles," I say, ignoring his smug look. "Besides, wasn't she going with- uh, Matt?"

I tense up at my own mention of his name. I could really use that drink right now.

"Yeah," Scott sighs.

"Keep an eye on her, okay?" I ask quietly. The last thing I want is for what happened to me to happen to Allison too.

"Of course," he says, his eyebrows scrunched up as he observes me. "A-are you okay?"

"Sure I am," I say. "But uh, we should probably tell her what we found."

"I'm still kind of not sure what we found," Scott says.

"We think it has something to do with water. You know, the fact that all the victims were on the swim team, the way the kanima reacted around the pool," I tell him, smiling slightly as Stiles pops up next to me and hands me a glass of punch. I immediately lift it to my lips and drink about half of it, ignoring the weird aftertaste. Stiles just watches me, eyebrows raised in surprise, and then takes a sip of his own glass.