Chapter 33

"We have to find Melissa," Stiles says once he sees the drops of blood on the floor, dripping from the wounds on my arm. I nod in agreement and keep my arm a little closer to my body.

Once we find her, just walking out of a patient's room, he speedwalks to stop her.

"Wait. Can you- can you listen to us for a second?"

"I-I'm busy, guys," she says apologetically. "Is it important?"

"Yes! Very important. Look, you need to help us- well, Grace, to be exact. You just- you just can't ask any questions, okay?"

"I don't think I understand... Grace, are you alright?"

"I- not really," I say, slightly pulling up the jacket's sleeve to reveal a mess of blood and fabric underneath.

"Let's find a room," Melissa nods immediately, once she's seen what's wrong. She leads us to an empty hospital room and tells me to go lie down on the bed.

"Stiles, can you help her take off that jacket?" she asks while opening a cabinet and starting to prepare stuff, pulling on a pair of latex gloves.

"Yeah," he says, immediately pulling off the jacket, but paying attention not to hurt the wounds too much.

"Is it still bleeding?" Melissa asks.

"I- I don't know, I tried to bandage it with my tie, but I don't know if it helped or anything..." Stiles says.

Melissa reaches us and gently unwraps the tie from my arm, along with what's left of the sleeve of my dress. With a wet cloth and some kind of clear liquid product I don't recognise, she begins wiping away the blood and getting the wound clean.

"Fuck," I hiss in pain, my muscles tensing uncomfortably.

"I know, it stings," Melissa says. "Stiles... With wounds this size, this close to a major artery, you might've just saved her life."

Stiles just looks at Melissa, mouth slightly open, speechless.

"Was it bleeding profusely? Grace, do you feel lightheaded or nauseous, maybe confused? Or cold?" Melissa asks.

"Lightheaded, yeah," I say. "Like I might pass out."

"She's so fucking cold as well," Stiles says.

"Okay," Melissa nods. "Grace, this means you're showing symptoms of shock."

"That's... bad- isn't it?" Stiles asks.

"It just means we have to keep her warm and relaxed while I stitch her up," Melissa explains, reaching for a blanket to cover me with.

"How do you expect me to relax?" I ask, feeling a little out of place covered with a blanket.

"Well, I'm gonna inject something that's gonna numb your arm, so it's not gonna hurt for a while. And Stiles is here to talk to you and distract you, so you don't fall asleep or faint," she says, looking at him.

"Yep, I'm just gonna- oh- god," Stiles jerks his head down until he's staring at his hands when Melissa begins the injections.

"Don't like needles?" I ask him, a smile on my face. The injection stings, and it makes me bite my lip to force myself to stay quiet.

"Nope. Or wounds. Or blood. Basically anything that's happening to you right now," he says.

"You don't have to stay here," I say.

"No, I have to. I have something to make up."

Melissa finishes the last injection and desinfects my arm again.