Chapter 14

"So are you two dating now?"

"I guess, yeah!" Allison answers. We're walking through the school hallways, getting ready for first period.

"You guess? You aren't sure?" I ask.

"I am sure. It's just early on, you know. Uhm, you don't look so happy?" she stops to look at me.

"I am! I promise. Just... just be careful."

Her frown turns into a cocky smile.

"Aww, you're worried about me!" she chimes.

"Can't deny that."

"Don't worry, I'll be fine! You know Scott, he wouldn't hurt a fly."

"I guess," I say with hesitation.

"Speaking of boys... What's going on with you and Stiles?"

"Wh-What do you mean?" I say, scrunching up my face.

"What I mean is that you're hanging out with him more than me- oh!"

Scott runs into her and then looks at her wide eyed.

"You scared the hell out of me!" Allison smiles and I take a step back to give them a bit of space.

"You're okay?" Scott says, looking extremely relieved.

"Once my heart starts beating again, yeah!" she breathes.

"You weren't answering my calls?" I hear Stiles' voice behind me and I turn around to face him.

"Uncle Chris took my phone. What's happening?"

"Oh. Basically, Scott had a dream about killing Allison in a school bus and he was freaking out, thinking he actually did it. Then neither of you answered our calls and texts so..."

"Oh. That's creepy," I say.

"You know what's even more creepy? Someone was actually attacked in a school bus last night."

"What the hell? You're kidding, right?" I say.

At that moment, a message starts to sound from the speakers.

"Attention, students, this is your principal. I know you're all wondering about the incident that occurred last night to one of our buses. While the police work to determine what happened, classes will proceed as scheduled."

Stiles looks me in the eyes, looking notably serious.

"I'm not kidding."

***

Walking to the cafeteria, I close my backpack, secretly yearning for my phone. Someone taps on my shoulder.

"Grace, hey. We saw the guy that got attacked, he was brought to an ambulance right in front of our classroom," Stiles says.

"Did he look bad?"

"Yes. He was screaming. Well, at least he was still alive."

"Stiles, if Scott really did this..." I trail off, but when Scott himself joins us, I just drop it.

"I remember doing it," he says, making me look him in the eyes.

"You remember hurting him?" I ask.

"Well, no. Not him. But Allison, yes," he says slowly, his gaze locked on mine. I know he doesn't hate me or something, but there's a tinge of doubt in his eyes. He doesn't trust me because he thinks I'm gonna tell my family. I don't even know why I haven't done that yet.

"But dreams aren't memories!" Stiles butts in, louder than necessary. Me and Scott both look at him.

"Then it wasn't a dream. Something happened last night, and I can't remember what," Scott says.