63- I Know

Prom.

I hate it.

"Eve come on," Hailey grumbled, yanking on Evelyn's arm lightly, "You already promised Cal you'd go with him."

She sighed, standing up from her sulking position and walking towards her closet.

"I don't know why I should,"

"It's prom! It's what every high school student looks forward to before the year ends," Hailey nudged the girl, slipping off her own shirt and getting ready to put on her own dress.

Evelyn shook her head, sniffing, "I don't."

"You used to," The girl retorted.

Evelyn was quiet.

"Plus, it's not just prom that's gonna be the highlight of tonight. You know we can't wait for the prom after party- it's gonna be so exciting."

That made her head perk up. The after parties are always legendary, wild, and reckless.

Maybe I will enjoy myself.

Hailey pulled on a red dress, sleeveless, and spotted with diamonds.

Evelyn finally gave in, walking to her closet and pulling out the dress Calum had picked out for her.

She slipped it on, the zipper coming up easy around her back.

Evelyn stared at herself in the mirror.

It twirled down into shocks of midnight blue, whispering silver hiding amongst the indigo; stars peeping through broken slits of sky.

The sleeves and top part of the dress were vaguely of a gypsy cut, all done in syrupy, navy blue and shades of dark purple flecked with white that seemed to undulate of their own volition.

The bottom half of the dress consisted of silk that ended in a straight hem just above the ankle.

As if the seamstress had suddenly been called away before completing her task, a slit shot up her thigh. Despite her tailoring the top, it still showed enough leg for her to be wary of her steps.

"Well you," Hailey smiled, "Look absolutely beautiful."

Evelyn turned red, turning back to the mirror in front of her.

"I have to agree."

She whipped her head around, eyes connecting to the source of the voice.

Calum stood in front of her, wearing a black suit, the coat after the current fashion. His light blue tie caught her eye, illuminating his brown eyes.

Eyes.

No one feature made Calum handsome, though his eyes come close. People often speak of the colour of eyes, as if that were of importance, yet his would be beautiful in any shade.

From them comes an intensity, an honesty, a gentleness.

Evelyn shook her head, ducking down, "I'm not gonna go."

Calum stepped forward, and it came to her attention that he was holding something in his hands.

A small, light blue flower adorned his large hands as he reached up to slip it around her small wrist.

"There," He held her hand softly in front of him.

Something about this whole thing felt calm to her. Relaxing, in a way she hadn't for a while now.

"Okay," Hailey clapped, turning to the two, "Do you guys have your outfits ready for the after party tonight?"

She nodded, pointing to the comfortable dress laid out for later that night.