23- Texts

Finally, Evelyn decided she would ask Kate about why Patrick was insistent she was not friends with him.

She kicked herself for not asking him earlier, but, of course, her overthinking habits led her to keep her mouth shut for quite a while.

But what was there to lose? Considering that it was Luke's advice and she might as well follow it; he hated her but he was really smart with people.

She caught him leaving his class, his face lighting up in excitement to see the girl.

"Eve! What a surprise!" Kate reached an arm around the girl, quickly hugging her before pulling away. His smile reached his eyes, kind and it was then she felt guilt that she did not spend more time with him.

He continued, "What's your next class? Come on, I'll walk you there."

"English but I actually had to ask you something," She pulled out her phone, scrolling down to the texts Patrick had sent.

Kate's eyes scrolled over the texts in front of him, his eyes immediately shifting in worry.

The text on the screen showed.

Patrick: You're friends with Kate again?

Evelyn: Yes! It's great isn't it?

Patrick: Don't hang out with him anymore.

Evelyn: What? why?

Patrick: No. I said no. End of discussion.

(the texts are up here just as a reminder^^)

Kate swallowed, fear eminent on his face. He passed the phone back to the girl, avoiding eye contact. His eyes danced around the area above her face, doing everything he could to not meet her eyes.

"I don't know why he would say that."

"Kate..." She started as he turned towards the way of her English class, the girl walking next to the boy to catch up.

His pace was slightly quicker than before, something she could almost not pick up on. But she did. She most definitely picked up on it.

"I don't know I swear!" He shrugged, attempting to lighten up the mood, "Anyways. What you got going on in class today?"

Changing the subject. Classic.

She let it go nevertheless. Instead, she explained the book they were reading until they reached her English class. They were doing some silly project on it, something to merely take up time in the class.

Kate nodded the whole way, but it was clear that he was no longer mentally with her. He looked straight ahead the entire time; the boy was clearly distant in thought, answering with vacant hums and fake smiles.

Something was definitely wrong.

While he insisted that he didn't know why Patrick didn't want them to be friends, Evelyn did not believe him. Why should she?

Something about the way he said it, the way he acted, was just. off.

Very off.

Yet, she could not turn to anyone. She was completely and utterly alone when it came to this issue. Evelyn ran a hand through her hair, despair beginning to take over her body.