31- Halloween Baby

"What are you wearing to my Halloween party Eve?" Calum took a bite out of his chocolate bar at the lunch table.

Evelyn froze. In all that was happening in the past few weeks, she completely and utterly forgot about Halloween.

Well that never happened before.

She sheepishly looked down at her phone, "I guess I forgot about Halloween."

Calum's eyes bulged out of his skull, "Forgot! How could you forget! It's Halloween baby."

She tried not to cringe at the pet name. He was obviously just adding it for dramatic effect, but the only person whom she wanted to hear that from was sitting in front of her.

Luke's eyes shot up as the word uttered left Calum's mouth. He toyed with his lip ring, trying but failing at not letting his emotions show.

"It's alright I knew you'd forget; I got you a matching costume," Hailey picked at her nails casually.

Evelyn hugged the girl tightly before unwrapping her hands and turning to the blonde boy in front of her.

"Hey Luke, we got practice. Let's go?"

He nodded, his jaw still clenched as he stood from his seat, "Later guys."

His gaze was straight ahead, firm as he walked with purpose. The girl reached over, putting a hand on his arm; his posture immediately softened at the touch.

Luke's eyes darted around to make sure that no one was around before leaning in to kiss her cheek lightly. She blushed, looking down at the ground.

He didn't let her, lifting her chin to place a quick kiss on her lips. She sighed against him, kissing back and then pulling away as to not get caught.

"Don't worry Luke, everything will be fine."

He sighed, making his way to the boy's locker room. He slowed his step to turn his attention to the girl.

She tilted her head up and looked at her, a soft smile on his face as she smiled back. Her dimples were prominent.

"I don't know how I'm going to stay away from you at that party," He chuckled, a slightly darker tone embedded in his words.

She waved him away, "We know Calum's
parties end up dark with everyone ridiculously drunk," she stepped closer, smoothing a hand on his chest.

Evelyn had no clue where this bravery came from, but she just wanted to try.

Luke's body immediately tensed as she ran her hands down his stomach, her thumb touching his belt buckle before coming back up.

She lowered her voice, trailing her eyes to connect them to his, "Nobody would notice if we were gone."

He groaned, tilting his head up. His adam's apple was far more prominent as he swallowed.

This girl is going to be the death of me.

He twisted his head, shifting his jaw before looking back down at her, "Go. Go before I change my mind and steal you from this school."

She giggled, turning and running to her locker room.

——

The day finally came, October 31 luckily landing on a Friday. Lucky for other people; it didn't matter to Evelyn and Michael. They didn't drink more than a few sips of wine here and there at nice dinners.

Hailey had hinted at the costume, vaguely describing it as a ninja get up. Yet, Evelyn had not gotten a chance to see it.

All Hailey had asked her was "blue or red", and when Evelyn picked red, she nodded.