32- Practice

Okay.

So maybe training for a national championship with hundreds of professionals isn't as easy as Evelyn thought.

But why wouldn't it be?

Sarcasm. That's the key.

Evelyn stepped into the circle track, placing her water bottle on the benches before tightening her hair tie. She pulled out her timer slightly and started it, beginning her 3 mile run.

The adrenaline pumped through her blood as she pushed herself past the pain. She controlled her breathing carefully to match her steps.

Finally, she crossed the line and pulling out her stop watch to mark the time. She raised her arms over her head to walk it.

That was a hard run.

And yet, running was not the hard part; it was training against Luke for long periods of time without getting distracted.

After a sip of water, Evelyn grabbed her spear and jogged over to Luke. He had ran earlier that day, before he came to school, so he was all ready to fight.

Well, almost.

He was too distracted.

"Luke stop looking around and FOCUS!" Evelyn yelled, hitting him with the spear as he groaned at the impact, not paying attention whatsoever.

She stood on the balls of her feet, moving quickly from his swings. Evelyn hit him once more, the boy crouching over at the impact.

"Do you have to hit so hard baby?"

Her face turned from scrunched anger to a soft tint of red, "We are still at school Luke. Kate is two meters away."

He smirked, twisting the spear in his hand, "You're lucky I haven't kissed you in front of them."

Before Evelyn could object, her coach called.

"Hemmings! Clifford! Over here."

They jogged over to their coach who pulled out two smaller spear-like knives, just bigger than their hands. They glanced at each other in slight unease before looking back to their coach.

"I noticed one area you two need some more work in. Try training with these to figure out what your issue is. You guys can go to the Far field," she peered over her watch, "Nobody is there right now and it'll give you some good, focused practice."

Evelyn nodded, taking one and waiting for the tall boy next to her to do the same. They began their slight jog to the Far field.

"Well," he slowed his jog, "Let's get started."

Evelyn held up the small knife in her hand, "How do we even use these?"

Luke launched towards her jokingly as she squealed and ducked. She easily moved around the hit.

"Not like that, Luke!"

He tried to breathe between fits of laughter, "Okay.. serious time."

His expression flipped like a switch to stoic, holding the knife/spear in front of him. Evelyn was caught off guard at how fast he became serious but nevertheless began.

She swung her knife carefully, trying to catch him when he was not paying attention. They were not wearing gear but the knives were not so sharp; they just had to be careful.

At once, she grabbed his shirt and pointed the knife at him, pausing his moments. He stood for a moment as she smirked.

"Gotchu."