14- Lunch

"Ashton," Evelyn gritted through her teeth, turning to the boy with a finger up, "If you touch that paintbrush to my arm one more time, I will touch my knee to your balls".

He smiled, quickly touching her with blue paint on the tip of her nose before running quickly out of the class.

"What- Where are you going Ashton?" Ms. J called after him as Evelyn silently screamed. She sulked over to the sink and slowly removed all the paint from her body.

She was still stuck on that assignment given: drawing something abstract and personal was not so easy to her.

Every time she had an idea, it ended with her scribbling it out frustratedly and getting stuck for a few more days, before attempting it again.

Ashton came back with a cheeky smile, holding his hands up in surrender as Evelyn just rolled her eyes. The teacher came up to Ashton and began to lecture the boy.

Sweet revenge.

The bell finally rang, signaling dismissal. Finally, Evelyn thought, her stomach growling in need.

Boy was she hungry.

She glanced out of the class to see Calum waving with his fingers at her, as she smiled and walked toward him.

"How was class?" He asked. She glared over to Ashton before looking back at Calum with a pointed look, wordlessly answering his question.

"But why?" She turned around to hear Hailey arguing with the assistant principal.

"This is part of the dresscode Hailey, no makeup". The older man sighed, scratching his beard as she continued to glare.

Everyone was used to this rule to begin with- but Hailey would break it just for the hell of it. In Evelyn's opinion, it was a ridiculous rule.

Not that she was going to try to look nice, in senior year no less.

She couldn't care less personally: she wouldn't wear the makeup either way. But it was so stupid to restrict girls for no actual reason.

Her phone buzzed as she glanced down, turning the screen face up to read the name.

Pat <3: come sit with me today.

She smiled, her cheeks glowing red. He hadn't had lunch with her in a while, even when she wanted to. This was nice for her, for once.

The group walked together to the cafeteria, "Actually guys, I'm going to go sit with Patrick today."

They looked at her with varying levels of suspicion, confusion, and betrayal.

What a dramatic group.

"Go go," Ashton waved her off, "We'll see you before class yeah?"

She nodded and then turned to the table where her boyfriend and his friends were. It was a collection of other football players, as well as a few cheerleaders.

She meekly walked over as Patrick looked up, catching her eye. He smiled, making space for her right next to him before continuing an intense conversation.

She slid her feet over the bench and kissed his cheek, him unmoving as she pulled out her home packed lunch, by Michael of course, and began to eat.

"I could totally throw farther than Jay, right babe?" Patrick turned to Evelyn as she sat up, trying to now recap the conversation.

"Uh yes- a hundred percent".