52- Finished

Showing up back to school in crutches was difficult for Evelyn. She hated to be reliant on anything or anyone.

Luckily, her brother was good at being organized.

And a little forceful for her taste. But regardless, it was out of love.

I think.

"Let's go over the schedule one more time," Everyone groaned after Michael's words as he immediately hushed them. He pulled out a printed sheet of paper, words and charts typed carefully.

"Hailey will take her bag after homeroom, Luke can take it from Hailey to and from math. I got it for lunch. Ashton can take it in art and Calum can help her when she leaves school."

Evelyn groaned, shifting onto her feet and grabbing her crutches, "Michael I'm fine. I don't need help."

Michael raised his hand to hit her with a threatening look in his eyes, though he could never truly be threatening.

When she whacked him with her crutches, he screeched, hopping away hobbled.

Weak man.

"Just finish your damn Lucky Charms," he grumbled, grabbing his bag and making his way down out of the car parking lot where they were all huddled.

Luke graciously took her bag, allowing her to walk on the crutches.

"Today is going to be hard," Evelyn grumbled, moving through metal crutches to assist her.

Luke's face twister in sympathy, "I know baby, just try your best."

She nodded, a small pout still on her face.

"I could carry you," He offered with a smile as she shook her head rapidly. Evelyn loved him in a way that she couldn't explain in words- and she knew he loved her back.

It was weird: she had never experienced a love like this before, and yet, she knew that this was exactly what was right for her.

He never failed to show her his love. And being there for her was definitely one way.

"I don't need people thinking I'm weak."

He rubbed her back for a moment, "You're not weak. You're incredible."

She sighed, entering the building and making her way to homeroom, already late with her slow pace, "Only you think that."

He stopped her, placing his hands on her shoulders. With little difficulty, she was able to turn on the crutches. "Everyone knows that."

She resisted a smile, hobbling into her homeroom and taking the bag from his outstretched hands.

He glanced around brashly before reaching down and lightly touching his lips to hers. It was only a moment, but the way she felt.

Could not be put into words, even if I wanted to.

There was no way to get enough of him, no way to drink him up like wine.

But, she had to part. Evelyn had class, something so incredibly important to the both of them.

"Go to class," she instructed, pointing a finger out to the direction of his class.

Luke nodded, saluting the girl.

——

Art class rolled around as Evelyn sighed in happiness.

Finally, a class that actually relieves her stress.

"Ashton give the girl back her crutches," Luke instructed as Ashton tried to walk with one leg. His fedora blocked his eyesight, him almost tripping.