15- Take Me Home

"So," Calum shrugged his bag while walking next to the short girl, smiling at her, "We heading over to yours?"

"Actually," Evelyn started, "My dad is having some lawyers come around for the divorce."

Her dad was meeting with his lawyer and her mom's lawyer as to sign off on certain things. She made no wish for custody over the kids, nor visitation rights. She didn't care, at all. Which, sad as it may be, made the process a little easier in terms of legality.

"It's okay," Hailey jumped in, "Let's come to mine! I got the basement empty for the boys to practice. I think Ashton's practice drum is still there and Calum left his guitar the other day". 

"That'll work for a day, I have the portable mic set in the car," Luke nodded as they shifted their way to make up for the slight change of plans.

For boys with no jobs, they had a lot of instruments and expensive equipment.

Evelyn got into Calum's car as Luke got in his own, Hailey and Ashton decided to go with Luke as well. Michael decided to join Calum and his sister.

A little while passed with some 70's music playing on the radio, the car peaceful and quiet.

It was about ten minutes into the drive that Evelyn decided to break the calm silence.

"How was school Mike?" Evelyn turned to ask the boy just to find him fast asleep. For someone always complaining, he was a very still sleeper, barely making a sound with his breathing. She laughed quietly before turning back to Calum.

"What about you Calum?"

He smiled, "Soccer was the only I enjoyed today. Everything else was a hassle. The assistant principal was on me after I jumped in to save Hailey, again. She has got to stop breaking the dress code with her makeup."

He looked over at the girl before turning his turning signal on, "What about you?"

She began to explain the events of her day, recounting her interactions with her teachers and with Kate. He was surprised to hear that they were doing surprisingly well.

Finally, they reached Hailey's house, the fence standing out against the rest of the houses. They got out and made their way into her home, Luke's car already parked and empty.

——

"I don't get this," Hailey whined, laying in bed on her stomach with her feet up in the air, moving back and forth.

Evelyn turned to look at her best friend, getting off the desk chair to reach over and help the girl with the math question at hand.

"No see, you need the log rules to do this problem," Evelyn explained, jotting down on the paper the rule in question. As soon as she did, it clicked in Hailey's head.

Hailey thanked her tremendously as Evelyn hummed a response before turning back to the work on her desk.

She opened the book in front of her, pulling out a small notebook to jot down her thoughts on the novel.

She began to write: The character appears to-

Just then, she heard a loud sound from beneath her. The basement.

She groaned and tried to ignore it, continuing to work on the homework at hand.

The character appears to be caught in a-

Thump.

Thump Thump Thump. The loud sounds from underneath her only got more frequent, followed by laughter and some stuff being thrown around.