• promise p2 •

warning: mentions of blood + minor injuries

"She's beautiful. Radiant, even. Some fear that just one look at her could kill, let alone a graze of her cold flesh."

"Meh."

Kallo's eyes widened at your bored tone. "Meh? I show you one of the most beautiful gems to have ever been molded, worth three million credits, and you say 'meh'?"

You shrugged, "Meh."

Theron snorted from his position in the corner of the room, his arms folded across his chest. "Sounds like the woman ain't impressed."

Rolling your eyes, you leaned forward and rested your hands on the cold table you were sitting at. "Listen, Kal, I've been in this business for the better part of eight years. I know when you're offering up something of real value, and I know when you're not. I also know that your nose twitches when you're bullshitting, and this gem is probably worth less than the shoes on your feet."

His face dropped and he sighed, rubbing his forehead. "What can I say? Leads are few and far between these days. It's hard to find anything of value."

You picked up the red gemstone he had brought you and scanned it from all angles, tilting your head. "Tell you what, Kallo: this gem won't turn any heads here on Chandrila, but if you take it over to Endor, the Ewoks will likely pay you a pretty penny for it."

He took the gem from your hands and put it away in its box, nodding. "I'll keep that in mind."

"Couldn't help but overhear that you've been having trouble finding a good rock," Theron commented, pushing off from the wall and taking a few steps towards the table. "I may have a lead for you."

Removing your eyeglasses, you wiped them with a cloth while frowning at him. "You have a lead?"

Theron nodded, "Indeed I do. And, if it turns out to be fruitful, you'd get something easily worth more than three million poxy credits."

You and Kallo shared a doubtful look, before looking back over at Theron. "Go on," Kallo said, sitting back in his chair.

Joining you at the table, Theron sat down to the right of you. "When I was a child, I was told the story of the Tychi stones. It wasn't like the other legends you'd hear; of crystals with healing powers or rocks that provide a communicatory link to the dead. No, the Tychi stones promised something much simpler than those things. Simple, but just as desirable, if not more so."

"Stop painting outside the lines and tell us," Kallo said impatiently, leaning forward.

A smug smile grew on Theron's lips as he whispered, "Luck."

You frowned at him. "Luck?"

"What do you mean by 'luck'?" Kallo asked with narrow eyes.

Theron threw up his hands, "I'm only reiterating what that tired old woman told me two decades ago. Having a Tychi stone brings you luck, and an abundance of the stuff. Now you tell me what you would rather have: some credits that you'd spend on a shiny new ship and fancy clothes, or enough luck to bring you all those things and then some?"

You remained silent, taking in his words.

Suddenly, Kallo snorted, slapping his knee. "Great. That's great. So, twenty years ago, you heard a story about some lucky pebbles from an old hag. What are we supposed to do with that information?"

Sighing, Theron glared at him. "I wasn't finished, numbskull."

Kallo held up his hands in surrender, "By all means, go ahead."