• return of the princess •

part 2  

The clash of lightsabers was a sound that pushed you to fight, and fight you did. Your senses were set alight as you anticipated each move from your opponent, defending against him accordingly. Every time you felt him fatigue, or pause to break, you struck. There was no use in attacking until his guard had been lowered, and you stuck by that rule no matter who you fought.

"You won't win," He yelled over the sound of your heartbeat thudding in your head, a wicked grin on his lips. "You never do."

Just as you had learnt to find those pockets of time during which he'd slow down, he had learnt to spew the perfect sentences to make you second-guess yourself.

But you wouldn't lose. Not this time.

He assumed you'd pause; take a few moments to mentally talk yourself up before attacking again, but you didn't. Relentlessly, you swung at him, and with every clash you saw Maul's face in your head, pushing you to fight through your desire to stop. Your muscles ached, your bare hands growing raw as you tightly gripped the handle of your lightsaber, your feet begging you to take your weight off them. But you ignored them all, and let the power of Maul surge through you. Before you knew it, your opponent was lying on the ground, defeated, with your saber pointed at his neck.

"I'll be damned," Anakin mumbled through heavy breaths, his sweat-drenched hair clinging to his forehead. "Well done, Y/N. You finally beat me."

Retracting your weapon, you instead extended out your hand to him, which he took before jumping up to his feet. It felt good to be the one helping him up rather than the other way round, which was how every other sparring session had ended.

"What's your secret?" Anakin asked you, putting away his lightsaber while the two of you began walking back into the building.

You shrugged in response, knowing him and the others wouldn't have appreciated the fact that you still drew inspiration from a Sith. "If I concentrate my hatred for you just enough, it turns out to be a damn good motivator."

Once you were back inside, you were immediately faced by Windu and Obi-Wan, each of them looking the both of you up and down with slight disgust.

"Have you been sparring all that time?" Obi-Wan asked, to which Anakin nodded. "Explains the smell."

Windu rolled his eyes, tucking the tablet in his hands under his left arm. "Y/N, Anakin; you're needed in the briefing room. A very important mission just came up, and the two of you have been put forward to take charge of it."

"Put forward by who?" You asked, folding your arms across your chest. Obi-Wan was obviously holding back a sly smirk, making you groan. "Thanks for that, Obi. I thought I was getting a month off from missions after Dooku?"

He held up his hands in surrender, "Just you wait until you see what the mission is. You'll understand."

"Come on now, Y/N," Anakin began as you followed Windu and Obi-Wan down the corridor, nudging your shoulder. "I'm sure it'll be fun, the two of us working together."

The sarcasm dripping from his tongue only made you roll your eyes in disdain. Though you and Anakin had become fast friends when you first met, along the way that had changed. Maybe it began with the underlying competition as to who'd prove to be the fastest learner; Anakin as Obi-Wan's unconventional and, at times, rogue Padawan, or you as Windu's trusty, obedient Padawan. However it had begun, it was undeniable what fuelled your mutual dislike for one another now: the unspoken race to becoming a Jedi Master.