Our Son (Part 29)

🖤  29

** Mmelokuhle **

She lost her memory. She doesn’t remember me. How fuck up is that. Surely I will remember this day for the rest of my life.

“Dad!” Lwandle calls me while I’m busy tucking him in lost in my thoughts.

“Yes what’s wrong?”

“Will mom remember us?” I wish I knew what to say to him.

“Yes she will. We must just be patient with her.” He nods.

“And Gogo saved her.” I frown.

“What do you mean by that?” He smiles.

“It’s a secret. I love you dad. Goodnight.” 

“I love you more son Goodnight.” I kiss him goodnight and watch him fall asleep before I leave.
.
.
I bump into Nompumelelo’s mom when I leave my son’s room.

“Ngiyaxolisa mkhwenyana I didn’t see you there.”

“It’s okay ma. I was just putting him to sleep.”

“You are so good with him. How is your grandmother?”

“She will be fine thank you.”

“Please don’t give up on my daughter.” She says and goes inside Lwandle’s room.

How does one deal with such things mara ye I feel like I’m being punished for all the wrongs I have done in my life. Her being in coma was something and now her not remembering me is another thing…something I don’t think I will be able to deal with. I head to her room and I hear voices… she is screaming. Deep sigh.

**Nompumelelo**

I can’t believe this! How can I not remember my own son? And now I’m married to someone I don’t even know… my goodness!

I’m busy pacing up and down mumbling non stop which is irritating Thuli. I have this terrible headache that just won’t go away. My mom and dad left because she couldn’t stand what is happening to me. I can’t stand what is happening to me.

“Sisi please come down tu you are still recovering.” Nomusa says and I give her the eye.

“Please don’t. You haven’t lost your memory Nomusa!”

“Yho wethu calm down! Nomusa is right you need to relax. It’s not even a day since you woke up and you busy shouting at everyone… you will get your memory back. I’m sure you will…” Thuli says but I cut her off.

“Thuli not you too…please!” I say angrily.

“Aaii Nompumelelo! We do understand that you are frustrated khona manje because you don’t remember anything but what did you expect when you were stuck in a coma for more than a month!”

I remain quiet.

“Khuluma phela” She yells at me.

“Sis’Thuli please don’t shout at her.” Nomusa says softly.

“Thula wena Nomusa! Angithi this one thinks that we do not care! She thinks that everything was all rosy and wonderful when she was just laying there and not waking up!”

She screams at us and now pointing her finger at me. 

“Wena Nompumelelo do you know the amount of stress your mother was in ye? Do you remember that they wanted to take your son away from you…Do you? All thanks to that man we have him here with us! It wasn’t easy for your father to get you married to Mmeli while you were still unconscious but he had no choice because your stupid ex in laws were suing us for your lobola money. Money we didn’t have! Mbuso is dead Nompumelelo he died long time ago!… and now you are going to scream at us because you got married to a man who is willing to do anything for you no Lwandle.” She roars at me.