Chapter 33 - On the Beach

David and Ally were seated together on a blanket, on the beach below the house

David and Ally were seated together on a blanket, on the beach below the house. Betty had packed them a basket filled with food and wine.

For once, David was dressed down. He was wearing a white linen shirt, with the sleeves rolled up, over a pair of khaki linen pants. He was stretched out on the blanket, propped up on one arm, feeding himself grapes.

Ally was wearing a white cotton summer dress. She was sitting with her knees up to her chest, enjoying the breeze on her face. "I didn't know we could come down here or I would have been here everyday."

"You shouldn't," David said and Ally looked at him questioningly. "Snakes," he explained.

She tensed up and looked around.

David chuckled. "Angel and the men already swept the area. Just try to avoid the rocks."

Angel and the men. Three of them came down to the beach with David and Ally. She couldn't see them anywhere now. They were really good at being invisible.

"Okey," Ally said nervously, "Avoid the rocks."

She looked at David as he picked a few more grapes and popped them into his mouth one by one.

"I need to ask you something," she said to him.

He looked at her expectantly.

"But you must promise you won't get mad," she continued.

David sighed and nodded his head.

"What's your connection with Luiz Mendoza?" she asked. David's expression changed to annoyance and she quickly added, "I was only curious because whenever I mention his name, you look, well, like that."

She looked away from him and stared ahead at the horizon. She wasn't really expecting him to answer. So, she watched the sunlight glimmering on the surface of the ocean. It really is beautiful here. She exhaled softly.

"I was married to his sister."

She was caught off-guard by the sudden confession. She turned towards him but he was staring at the grapes in his hands, turning them over on his palms. Oh my God, have I been sleeping with a married man? She suddenly felt queasy.

"Her name was Luisa. She was Luiz's twin sister," David continued quietly.

Then she noticed that David was speaking about her in past tense. "What happened to her?" she asked.

"She died 2 years after we got married. Brain aneurysm. Nobody saw it coming."

She could hear the sadness in his tone and her heart reached out for him. "I'm so sorry for your loss."

David rubbed under his nose with the back of his finger. Then he exhaled sharply. "We met while we were in college. Fell in love, got married right after we graduated. We were young and stupid, it wouldn't have lasted anyway," he said, shrugging.