Chapter 21 - The Little Advisor

Ally couldn't stop thinking about what happened with David

Ally couldn't stop thinking about what happened with David. Did he know what he was saying or was it his drunk self? But she couldn't bring herself to see him again.

She kept to herself for days, thinking about her life before any of this happened to her. If she did left her room, she spent her time with Enrique. He seemed to be the only person who can cheer her up in this place. His innocence was so pure.

Ally was colouring with Enrique one evening in the playroom.

She turned to him and asked, "Enrique, can I ask you something?"

"Si, senorita."

"Do you think David is a good man?"

Enrique looked up from his drawing and smiled. "Si, he is a very good man."

Ally tilted her head to the side. "Why do you think so?"

"Because he loves me very much," Enrique said simply, as he coloured on. "He gives me toys, and books, and many things. He teach me, too."

"What did he teach you?" Ally asked.

"To always help people," Enrique replied, looking at Ally. "That's why I try to help you, give you cookies when you were hungry."

Ally smiled, remembering the sweet gesture. "What else did he teach you?"

"Señor David said, sometimes we do the right thing, but people think we do wrong thing. But if you think what you do is right, then you are right."

Ally chuckled. "That is a big lesson."

Enrique nodded. Then he frowned and asked, "Can I ask you question?"

"Of course."

"Why are you sad?"

Ally was taken aback. "What do you mean?" she asked him.

Enrique looked thoughtful. "I see you sometimes, looking very sad, when you look outside."

Ally smiled at him kindly. "I'm not sad. I just miss my parents, that's all."

Enrique nodded. Then he asked, "Do you think Señor David miss his parents too?"

Ally looked at him. "I don't know. Why?"

"I see him looking at you, and he looks sad."

Ally put down her colour pencil and turned to Enrique. "When do you see him looking at me?"

"Many times," Enrique said simply, "From the windows."

Ally swallowed the lump in her throat. "I don't think he was looking at me. I think he was watching you."

"No," Enrique said with confidence, "He likes you, I can tell." He paused colouring and looked up at her, "Because you are very beautiful."

Ally smiled endearingly at him. "And you are very sweet."

*********************************************************************

Continue in Chapter 22

*********************************************************************