Chapter 22 - Change of Heart

That night, Ally lied in bed thinking about what Enrique said

That night, Ally lied in bed thinking about what Enrique said. She still remembered what Betty mentioned, about David leaving Angel to keep her safe. And David has provided her clothes, which he didn't have to do. She started to list down in her head everything good that he has done for her. There were a lot of them. She was starting to look at him in a different light.

She sat up and has decided, she has to talk to David tonight.

She met Angel in the hallway. "Hey, is David here?"

"He's away," Angel replied.

Ally felt a pang of disappointment. "When will he be back?"

Angel replied with a shrug.

It was the same for the next few days. David was away for more than a week.

Then one night, Ally fell asleep on the chair while reading Enrique his bedtime story. It was past midnight by the time she woke up. She tucked him in tightly, kissed his head, and then made her way back to her room.

As she was walking back, she heard Angel calling her from behind and she turned around. He walked towards her with a smile on his face and she was curious.

"He's back," he said.

Ally inhaled sharply. All traces of sleepiness was gone now. "When?"

"An hour ago. I looked for you in your room."

"I was with Enrique," she explained. She exhaled slowly. "Can I go see him?"

Angel shrugged, then smiled.

Ally grinned and gave him a quick hug, then hurried off to find David. She only stopped right in front of his doors. She raised her hand and knocked hard. She waited but there was no reply. So she pushed open the heavy door.

David was seated in his usual chair, facing the fireplace. He moved his head when he heard the door so she knew he was awake. She slowly made her way inside and closed the door behind her.

"Whatever it is, it can wait until tomorrow."

Was he talking to me? Then she realised that he thought she was Angel. She was glad to hear his voice was steady. He was not drunk tonight.

She walked closer to him, from the side, and stopped 4 feet away from his chair. His solemn gaze was fixed on the fireplace. He was still fully dressed and he looked better than he did the last time she saw him.

She bit her bottom lip. She should say something. She swallowed hard.

"You want me to leave?" she asked softly.

At the sound of her voice, his head immediately snapped towards her. He looked surprised and confused.

"Do you want me to leave?" she asked again.