Chapter 70

“Wang Jackson.  English name - Jack.  Born in California, US.  Age - 26.”  A Hong Kong officer is presenting the information as an image of a handsome Asian man is projected onto the screen: “His father was the Chairman of Wang Corporation before he passed away.   His personal asset worth is over 1 billion US dollars.  His mother was a biologist.  His parents divorced when he was four.  She gave up her custody rights.” 

Based on Jungkook’s interactions with No.1 last night, and the deductions he made previously, the FBI and the Hong Kong have set up a special unit to work together on the case. And they have found a person that fits all the description.

The officer continues : “Even though we have a name, we have difficulty issuing a warrant of arrest.  He disappeared in 2016.  All his personal assets have been moved overseas.  Since then, no one has seen him.  We suspect that he has had plastic surgery done to him. Look at this.”

He shows a different image on the screen.  It’s a photo taken during the 2017 HK Galaxy writers Award Ceremony.  The photo of “Wang Jackson” fits the description of the family that was kidnapped earlier, but it looks very different from him. 

“Experts say there are a few features on his face that look like it’s pasted on.  For example, his brows.  There might be other features that have been ‘camouflaged’ as well.  But even just by looking at the shape of his face, it’s obvious that there are a number of changes to how he used to look. The possibility of plastic surgery is extremely high.”  

Namjoon says: “So, even though we have his name, identity and even his DNA, we can’t find him because we still don’t know what he looks like.  And there is a possibility that he is using a new name and a fake identity.  We are looking for a needle in a haystack!”

Everyone is quiet.  The team leader look at Jungkook : “Professor, do you have any ideas?”

Jungkook answers faintly : “I agree with  Sergeant Namjoon’s views.  But he was forced to abort his most current plan because of us.  He will need some time to organise something that is more complex and cruel.  So we must seize time to check the top 1% of the rich people in Hong Kong.  It’s a competition on speed.  If we find him quickly, we can stop the next wave of murders.”

——————-

The sun warms the sheets on the bed.  There is a smell of disinfectant and medication in the air.  The usually pungent scent brings peace to the minds of those who are there.  

Lisa is sitting on the side of the bed.  She looks at Taehyung.  He is asleep at the moment.  All his injuries are treated.  He is still the handsome officer she knows.  Just that he has lost a lot of weight and his face is heartbreakingly pale.

She holds on to his hand.  

Jungkook is sitting in a sofa behind her.  He is quietly accompanying his girlfriend.   Occasionally, he will look up at the man that’s lying in bed.  Hmm… Taehyung is still an annoying guy.  But he will tolerate him for two reasons.

1. He is Lisa’s good friend.

2.  He is the only other person (besides himself) who survived after being imprisoned by the Flower Cannibal for a long period of time. 

Lisa can feel Taehyung’s fingers moving. Then she sees his eyes slowly open.  

“Tae….” She calls him softly. When Jungkook hears that he is awake, he stands up and stands beside Lisa.  

Taehyung’s lips are still cracked from dehydration.  He gives a small smile : “Come on, pinch me… I need to know if this is a dream.”

Lisa’s eyes tear up.  She says softly : “You are safe now. Jungkook and I, and the Hong Kong Police Force will protect you.”