Chapter 62

It’s past midnight.  There has been misty rain all night. 

Jungkook comes out from the bathroom in his black pyjamas.  His hair, still damp, is combed behind his ears.  He takes a look at the bed. Lisa is sleeping with her head buried in the pillow.  Her long hair scattered on the white bed sheets.  

He looks at her for a while.  Then he walks over to the window.  Drops of water forms and drips down on the window as the soft rain hits the glass. He gives Jimin a call.

Jimin does not sound pleased : “Do you know what time it is? I have to perform an operation at 9am tomorrow!”

Jungkook looks at the clock on the wall, and answers accurately : “1:20am.”  He says without any guilt or shame in his voice.  

But Jimin knows he is calling for a reason at this hour, so he asks : “…. What’s bothering you?”

“We’ve lost him.” Jungkook says in a low voice, “He vows to commit more serious crimes.  He might be targeting people who are close to me.  Please be careful.”

Jimin is quiet for a while, then he says : “Ok.  I will.  Don’t worry about me. How are you and Lisa doing?”

Jungkook answers : “I am fine. But Lisa…. one of her good friends may have become the Flower Cannibal’s victim.”

Jimin gives a small sigh : “Please send my regards.”   

“Will do.”

Jimin says to him : “I know you are preoccupied with the case.  But as a boyfriend, make sure you spend more time with her and comfort her.”

His words are what Jungkook has in mind.  He frowns. 

Jimin waits for a response.  But when he doesn't get one for more than a minute, he ask : “What is it?”

Jungkook asks faintly : “What should I do to comfort her?

He sees her grieving for her best friend. But this genius/natural born lover is running out of ideas. 

Jimin smiles. He thinks for a while, then says : “Simple.  When she is feeling down, sing to her. I guarantee she will laugh.”

Jungkook shows disbelief on his face : “No way?!”  Then he hangs up.

Lisa pushes herself to sit up on the bed.  She is awake.  Her eyes are still swollen from all the crying she did yesterday, her face looks pale under the light. 

“Jungkook.” She calls him softly.  

Jungkook walks over and sits down beside her.

He is as handsome as ever.  His black eyes looking gently at her. He is concerned about her.  

“Are you feeling better now?” He asks with a warm voice.  

Lisa nods : ‘Yes, better.”

“Then give me a kiss.”

Lisa’s voice is still a little coarse : “Are you a kid?”

Jungkook looks at her :  “Yesterday, you left at least one litre of tears on my shirt - who’s the kid?”

She remembers Taehyung.  The crime scene. Taehyung’s empty house, his police uniform hanging in his room….

Her heart aches again.  She tells herself to be brave. There is still hope.  They didn’t find a body.

She lifts up her head to look at Jungkook : “Have you never cried in your life?”

“No.”  He replies: “Ever since I was a child.  As far I can remember, I have never shed a tear.”