Chapter 52

A distance of 8km should take less than 5 minutes to reach.

Jungkook is driving with a stern face.   Lisa looks out the window - houses, police cars, more fields… they fade away quickly by as Jungkook speeds to their next destination.

Lisa is trying to analyse the facts : “After killing the first family, the killer stayed at the crime scene - he ate some food and changed his clothes.  It takes time to get to the second house, which means he was only on the road for about thirty minutes.  He couldn’t have walked there.  There’s not enough time, and it would attract people’s attention.  Besides we don’t have any eye witness yet.

The second family he killed lived in a quiet road too.  Is that part of his criteria?  But then, it would imply there is some planning towards his killing.  Is our initial deductions wrong?”

This is the first time she doubts Jungkook’s reasonings. It’s a strange feeling, but looking at him, she feels it’s a valid question.  Because there is an obvious contradiction.

Jungkook calmly relies : “I cannot be wrong.”

Lisa : “…..ok.”

 They arrives the next crime scene.  Another farmhouse.  The place is cordoned off.  A group of police officer stands outside the house.  Jungkook says mildly: “Though we did not want to see more killings, the new deaths have help us determine his identity and what he looks like.” 

Lisa is stunned.

Obviously, they are not thinking at the same level.  When she felt they have taken a step back in the investigation, Jungkook has in fact taken a huge step forward.  

He opens the door, and says to her before he hops off : “Stay close to me.”

——————-

The second crime scene has many similarities to the first one.  The killer is even more vicious in his assaults. Lisa takes a look and wait outside. 

After a while, Jungkook comes out.  He takes off the gloves that is soaked with blood.  He looks at the pale Lisa : “If you are still shaken by what you’ve seen, come into my arms.”  

There’s people surrounding them. Lisa hesitates and declines his offer.  He looks around and grabs her cold hand : “Are you embarrassed again?  Who doesn’t know that you are my woman?”  He says.

Lisa blushes.

Jungkook is obviously very upset at the moment.  The killer has caused over ten deaths.  He needs to focus on the case, but he is concerned for her at the same time.  So even when he speaking about their relationship, his tone is still cold and moody….

She taps his shoulder gently : “Just focus on the case.  Don’t worry about me.  I can take care of myself.  I’ll be right behind you all the time.”

It’s supposed to be a considerate statement from a girlfriend.  

Jungkook turns to her, and says in his cold voice : “Do you think I am not capable of handling both roles at the same time?”  The two roles obviously means ‘detective’ and ‘boyfriend’.

Lisa : “…….”

He must be angered by this killer.  He has been in a bad mood since he left the bedroom. Now it’s even worse.  Nothing she says can soothe him.

Never mind.  Just leave it.  Lisa thought to herself. He is probably more efficient when he is grumpy.

A young officer comes up to them : “We found him. Professor Jeon, we found him.”