Chapter 48

There is an endless crowd in the vast airport departure hall, and broadcast updates for the passengers every few minutes.  This place is like the rest of S City: prosperous, busy and surrounded by strangers.

Taehyung lights a cigarette in the smoking room.  He takes out his mobile phone.

It’s a photo of Lisa which he took a few days ago.  She was smiling brightly in the sun.  And he was standing behind her, with one hand on the railings and the other over her shoulder.  

He gives a small laugh.  He puts out his cigarette and stands up.

As he opens the door of the smoking room, he sees her. Lisa.  Their eyes meet.  She smiles at him, like she normally would, warm and gentle. 

Taehyung feels like someone has poked his heart with small knife as he sees the smile.

After a moment, he walks up to her.  He smiles : ‘Why are you here?”

This time, Lisa voice has a little sadness in it : “You don’t plan to say goodbye before you leave?”

Taehyung is quiet.   Behind them, people are hurrying past to get the departure gates.

Both of them smiles at the same time.  Taehyung reaches out to pull Lisa into his arms. Lisa rests her hands on his back.  He has a comfortable and broad chest, with a faint smell of sweat. 

Even though Taehyung is three years older than Lisa. Lisa has never called him “Older brother or oppa”.

Taehyung is Taehyung.  When she needs him, he is always there.  He is always encouraging her - “You can do this.  It is not that difficult.” “Yes, that’s more like it.  Well done.” 

Nothing more needs to be said.  Her most important friend.  Someone she never wants to lose.

Taehyung cradles her in his arms.  His hands feel her soft waist, her floral fragrance in his nose.  He tightens his grip, then lets her go.

“How did you come into the departure lounge? It’s restricted area.” He asks.

She holds up her police identity card : “That’s quite handy.  Now I know how you feel to have a pass that gives you access everywhere.”

Taehyung laughs.  He puts his hand on her shoulders : “Go.  I need to board the plane.”

“Mmm…” Lisa laughs too.  She walks with him.  They are at the start of the corridor that leads to the departure gate.  

“Your new boyfriend is not with you today?” He asks.

“No, he is at home.” 

—————

There are many kinds of love. Taehyung’s love to Lisa is in between friends and lovers.

From young, they hang out together.  As Lisa was growing up, a lot of boys were interested in her. They wanted to go after her, but they were blocked by Taehyung.  Others used to say to him : “Hey, you are only protecting her so that you can have her all to yourself.”  He used to say to them : “That’s my sister.  I am not going to let her get into a relationship in her teens.  It’s too young.”

But is she only a sister to him?  At least for eighteen year old Taehyung, that’s what he thought.  Then a year later, he finished his last year of secondary school.  He got into the Police academy.  He needed to leave town.  On his last day at home, he went to her house.  

At the entrance of their house, he heard Jennie crying : “Sis, are you really ok with Taehyung leaving?”

At the time, Lisa was fifteen.  Jennie was twelve. Taehyung overhead their conversation.