Chapter 59

Why would someone commit arson?”

“Because when they see the flames engulfing everything, they think they are in control.  In the beginning, it’s controlling the fire, then he will want to control life, and start to murder people.”

Inside the burnt out factory, Jungkook is standing with his hands at his back.  He looks at the ashes all over the floor. Lisa stands behind him.  She is examining every corner.  

All five cases happened in different cities.  They are closed cases. This is why they are keeping their investigation confidential.

A police officer standing behind them explains : “The first three cases happened in empty parks in the middle of the night or in residential houses.  Except for the arsonist, there were no other victims.  However, from the fourth case onwards, innocent people were killed.  Especially this last case, three workers died in the blast.”

“So….” Jungkook turns to look at him : “You only noticed the similarities after the fifth case.”

The officer nods.

Jungkook has a sarcastic smile on his face : “I don’t buy the ‘five cases are similar’ lie.  It’s obvious that the person who is behind all these cases changed his strategy after the third case.  There are two reasons for this :

1. He is getting greedy.  2. He wants more attention.  I think his next step is to cause a big explosion involving public transport.”

The officer is shocked.  He asks: “But how does he control the arsonists?”

“That’s the answer we are looking for.” Jungkook says slowly.

He takes off his gloves and turns to Lisa: “Let’s go.”

Lisa catches up behind him : “We’ve been to all the scenes.  Any discoveries?”

“No.  There’s nothing out of the ordinary.  All the necessary forensic work had been done by the police.”

They step out of the factory.  There are police cars everywhere.

Jungkook pauses his steps and smiles at her : “Tell me, what should we doing next?”

Lisa thinks for a while : “Since there’s no clue at the scenes.  I think we should look at the suicide notes.”

Jungkook turns around and continues to walk forward.  He says with a flat voice as he is walking : “Good, looks like our frequent and passionate sex is not affecting your work.  You are as smart and efficient as usual.  Good.  Keep it up.”

Lisa : “……”

This guy is like a changed man when he is working. But…what a way of making sure their private life is not affecting their work.

———————

The local police station.

Lisa and Jungkook is sitting in their conference room.  The five suicide notes are on the table, as well as copies of other suicide notes.

It didn't take Jungkook very long to read through them.  He leans back on to the chair.  

Lisa carefully reads through every sentence.  She gets more and more suspicious as she reads on.  

“These suicide notes… something is wrong.” She looks at Jungkook.

He gives a cold smile : ‘Yes, they are very well written.”

Lisa understands what he means.  He doesn’t mean they are very ‘well written’ that one can easily tell it’s fake.  It’s well written because they very believable!