75 - The First Date

A/N: I'm back with more of Haruki's story. I'm sorry for being gone so long. Life, Covid, and Writer's Block got in the way (not to mention I live in America, and a lot of BS is going on here). But enough of that. Here's another chapter for all my lovely readers, and I have the next few already mapped out!

In other words, it's fine now! Why?! BECAUSE I AM HERE!!!

When I was younger, I suffered issues with self-confidence. It got worse when I learned that my cousin became such a famous top hero. Naturally, people found out about our connection; it wasn't difficult to make. People soon started comparing me with Hawks, and not always in a good way.

"Nobody can be as awesome as Hawks is."

"You're related to Hawks? No way."

"Can you even be as strong as Hawks? Or as cool?"

I wanted to be a hero for as long as I could remember. But all of these made me doubt my ambitions, each comment chipping away at my motivation one by one. I almost quit entirely, too. I almost gave up on my dream.

And Kacchan wouldn't let that happen.

Just when I felt like giving up everything, Kacchan was there to talk me out of it. He never was a man of many words, so you can imagine what he said to me that day after learning of my intentions.

"Don't listen to those fucking extras, Haru!" shouted the eleven year-old Kacchan.

"How do I not listen to them? They're all praising Keigo! Compared to him, what's the point of me becoming a hero? I'm in his shadow. As long as I am, nobody will support me the way they support him..."

"I'll support you!"

It was just three words.

Three simple words.

And everything after he said those words.

Somehow, Kacchan got me out of the hole I crawled into.

And even now, I'm still amazed what he did. And, I'm grateful. For Kacchan, and for what he's done for me. What he keeps doing. Ever since we first met, he's supported me whenever I could no longer support myself. He's always been there for me. Always been my best friend, my number one companion, my go-to shoulder to cry on.

He's definitely my favorite person.

And now that we're dating, I feel I've boldened that statement. Enhanced it, even?

He's not just my favorite person ever. To me, Kacchan is—

"Haru!"

"Ah!!"

I accidentally set off my Quirk, causing a sizzling frying pan to float in front of my face.

Kacchan's hand darted out of nowhere to grab the handle and place it back on the burner, his sharp eyes boring holes into my soul. "Oi, what the hell, Angel Face? You planning on setting the place on fire?!"

"Ah, u-uh, sorry. I spaced out." I quickly canceled my Quirk.

"That's dangerous. Gimme!" He swiped my spatula and flipped the eggs in the pan before they had a chance to turn black. Once they had been properly cooked, he killed the gas on the stovetop. "That was close."

"Sorry. I was just, reflecting, about something."

"About what?"

I kept my gaze fixed on the stove and softly smiled. "Oh, nothing important."