50 - A Bumpy Ride

Early the next morning, Kacchan and I rushed to school. We met up with the rest of our classmates by the buses. Once everyone showed up, Mr. Aizawa did a quick roll call and then moved to a brief announcement: "U.A. High has finished its first semester and started summer vacation. However, those of you trying to be heroes will not receive days of rest. At this summer training camp, we'll have you training for even greater heights—for Plus Ultra!"

"Yes, sir!" everyone cheered.

I could hardly contain my excitement for the activities awaiting us this week.

The minute Aizawa finished his morning monologue, I hopped over to Deku. I had yet to talk to him that morning. "Good morning, Deku! It's finally time for the training camp in the woods, huh?"

He nervously looked away. "Y-Yeah, that's right, Haruki!"

"What's the matter?"

"Well, um..." His face turned red.

Is he blushing?

My face suddenly heated up, too. Wanting to disperse some of the heat, I stepped back and raised my hands in the air. "I-It's time for training camp! Training camp! Training camp!" I cheered loud and clear.

Mina, Kirishima, and Kaminari quickly joined me.

"Training camp! Training camp! Training camp!" cheered all of us together, dancing around in circles.

"It sure is a nice day for it, huh?" said Tsu.

"Yeah, it's perfect weather!" agreed Deku, adjusting the camping bag on his back.

Shoto's blasé reply was, "Guess so." He had nothing against the good weather or the upcoming camp—this was just his usual energy level.

"Thanks a lot for teaching us and staff, Professorozu!" said Mina.

"What she said! And how about another study party come winter term finals?" added Kaminari.

"If you think I can be of assistance, then yes, absolutely!" replied Momo to the two tutees who had needed her help the most.

Kyoka couldn't help throwing a jab Kaminari's way. "Try cracking a book yourself next time, Kaminari."

"Ugh. Always kicking a guy when he's down, huh, Jiro?"

A few paces away, Tsu stared at my bag.

"Packing light, Haruki?"

"Yeah, nice and compact is what I was going for. Your bag's huge, Tsu!"

"The biggest one we had at home. Big enough to fit me in there, even."

Needless to say, the prospect of a week in the great outdoors without parents had everyone good and stoked, even the five flunkees who'd have to endure the hellish supplementary classes Aizawa had prepared for them.

There was also the matter of Deku's encounter with the League of Villains' leader, Tomura Shigaraki, the other day. This only added to the class's desire to escape the anxieties of everyday life and leave it all behind for a spell.

"What? So there are people in Class A taking extra classes? Does that mean you had people who failed the finals? What? Isn't that weird? Isn't that weird? Even though you're supposed to be way better than Class B? How can that be?!" ranted Monoma, appearing out of nowhere.

Kendo came by and whacked him over the head. "Sorry!" She grabbed her classmate's collar and dragged him over to the rest of her class.

"Oh, it's Class B!" Deku said.